light streak across cape?

Submitted by Nancy M. on 01/21/2003. ( ) 67.3.74.52

I checked the archives, honest! I can't find anything even close.
I have a tanned deer cape with what appears to be a pale stripe about 1/2" wide going crosswise, all the way across, about midway down the neck. I have studied it and tried my best to figure it out, and this is what I have tentatively come up with. I THINK it may be shaved just a little bit thinner in that area, allowing the hairs to be farther apart so that the light bands show more. (?) Being a bird taxidermist, naturally I poked and prodded at it quite a bit. If I bunch the skin up just slightly, and ONLY under the streak, it fades away and vanishes.
Did I guess right? Is this a common occurence? Is there any other cure for this problem and, if not, is Epo-Grip hide paste going to be able to hold this irregularity in place by itself or should I try also using pins as backup?
If I don't do anything to fix it, it looks like the deer has been caught in a wire noose.

Nancy M.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Nancy

This response submitted by terry v on 01/21/2003. ( search@orange.button ) 216.120.182.213

I see that sometimes. Thin areas let out more or the hide has been pulled down and the skin stretched too far. Do like you said and it will be fine. Pins can't hurt. If you end up with a small line after it has dried you can tint the darker hair with oil paint and make it all better. Just pretend its a bird, a really weird bird with no feathers. Hey (weird) I thought it was i before e except after c?

Some times

This response submitted by Dave on 01/21/2003. ( ) 66.153.44.34

if you look close at the skin you'll find some damage there, possibly from the deer sparing. Also I mounted one for myself this year with a mark on his neck like your referring to mine was from the deer running into a fence after I shot him.

I suspect something different

This response submitted by George on 01/21/2003. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.188.7

Like maybe the hunter tied a rope around the deers neck and drug it, hung it, tied it to the vehicle. Sounds like rug burn (ooops, I mean rope burn) to me.

Thanks guys

This response submitted by Nancy M. on 01/21/2003. ( ) 67.3.80.11

I actually studied it with a magnifying glass at first, and the hairs themselves appear perfect. None were bent, broken, or missing. I don't think it was ever tied by the neck. No sign of any scars or blemishes on the inside.
I did think of another possibility but I don't know how likely or possible it is.
It might very possibly have been folded at this point for a couple of years or longer since it was a small, extra cape. Could the outer surface of the skin become overstretched after time, causing the hairs to be a little farther apart? Just wondering ...
I guess I will have fun fiddling with it.

Nancy M.

a thought

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 01/23/2003. ( ) 64.12.96.77

Hi Nanc, try this. You are a bird gal, you know how to stack feathers. Same thing applies to hair. An even distribution fo the skin with have the lay of the hair similar. Gathering hair crowds the tips that have the color.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu