Help Fixing Butcher Mistake

Submitted by Steve on 01/21/2003. ( ) 152.163.189.72

A customer brought me a cape that his butcher split up the FRONT of the deer. Through the brisket all the up to the under side of the jaw. Is there any technique that will help me repair this cut. I quess sewing it is the logical answer. If there is any other way, short of getting another cape, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Replace! Replace! Replace!

This response submitted by Rocky on 01/21/2003. ( rocky out doors@msn.com ) 63.154.32.229

You work hard enough to do a good job. Why start out spitting in the wind.Explain the problem to the customer which is very obvious and,leave it at that. He can pay for a replacement cape or, you can do a mount that will make you look bad for years to come. Don't think to long! No Brainer! Good Luck!

I agree

This response submitted by Dan on 01/21/2003. ( hasslehut ) 152.163.189.200

Don't waste your time

butcher mistake

This response submitted by Mark on 01/21/2003. ( MarkV.33@centurytel.net ) 207.230.203.137

Steve, I just did a deer with the same mistake. Make sure you order a form about an inch smaller in size because the cape is not goig to stretch as much. I then took and thinned the cape on the fleshing machine especially along the cut area. I then sewed the cut up with real tight stitches using a thin but strong test thread. I then put some super glue along the stitches just for added strength and then proceeded to mount.Make sure you also use a good hide glue such as Epo-Grip or buckeye supreme. It has been drying for about 2 weeks and you cannot tell it was cut at all. If the cut was jagged you may have other issues to deal with but if its straight you can by all means do a good job and save your customer from buying a new cape. You will have to charge extra for your labor but Im sure the customer would much rather have his original deer back. Good luck, Mark

Charge him for it.

This response submitted by John C on 01/22/2003. ( ) 64.216.172.50

Is easy to say replace it, but sometimes the customer says NO. Trim up the jagged cuts and sew it then mount using Epo-Grip and hammer the seam down. You will never know its there.

LOL been there done that

This response submitted by Frank E. Kotula on 01/22/2003. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.136.239.76

I had two clients bring me in their capes that were done in this manner. As I inspected it and seen what at the time didn't know it was the butcher that did it I told the clients that because they split it up the middle like this I will have to charge an extra $100.00 for the sew job. They the clients were real ticked off and said the butcher really butchered their deer.
I then said go back to butcher and tell him what he did and say to him that he is responsable for this screw up and he should either replace or pay the mistake he made. They both went back and told the butcher what I said and told him either pay for it or replace the cape. I then got a call from him and he explained to me that I cut all my deer capes this way for my taxidermist. I just said I would love to see his work cause what I have to do to make this deer look good is going to cost my client more money than it should. He then asked on how it should be cut and I explained to him if you need to cut the hide do it right down the spine. This is where we sew up the capes and you can hide the seam much better. From that day on I had that butcher send all his bucks to be mounted to me. All in talk to the butcher and tell him or show him how it should be cut for mounts.

Thanks

This response submitted by Steve on 01/22/2003. ( ) 152.163.189.200

Thanks . I appreciate the quick response.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu