wet tan sweating

Submitted by Nokes on 01/22/2003. ( ) 12.2.195.135

Just received my wet tanned capes from the tannery. They are frozen.
My question is, with the y-incision, if I sweat them in the frig over night will I get more stretch out of them for ease in mounting?
Thanks for any insite you can give.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

This is what I do..

This response submitted by Paul on 01/22/2003. ( Paulstax2000@yahoo.com ) 68.85.39.7

When your going to mount it, thaw in fridge the night before. It will be thawed but tight. After thinning the face (ears,nose,etc) the cape will have loosened up. Test fit on form, it should fit if you took correct measurements. I also use a Y incision, a small one at that, can barely get cape over head on form, but almost no seam to sew. Also my tannery said to spray the flesh side with hot water with a spray bottle and stretch by hand to get a little more room to work with. Not a lot of water just enough to wet and warm it. Works for me, I get all my capes wet tanned now and have no problems...Paul

Why are you SWEATING a wet tan?

This response submitted by George on 01/22/2003. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.39

Sweating is for dry tans only. If you are simply thawing in the fridge, that's one thing, but wetting and sweating is unnecessary?

GEORGE, WHAT DO DELAWARE TAXIDERMIST KNOW ?

This response submitted by EARL on 01/23/2003. ( ANT/TAX ) 68.82.14.153

George ,George ,George ,if you spray with warm water they stretch "BETTER"..Then in the fridge till morning ,they seem to stretch "MORE & EASIER" and at times slide on easier ...."WORKS FOR ME" do it every time two or three times a day 5 days a week..

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu