Removing Cape

Submitted by Fred on 01/25/2003. ( ) 216.221.109.97

What is the best way to remove cape from form after drying for two weeks? After two weeks of drying the hair still comes out when you touch it. I used AFG Hide paste and Epo-Grip on the earliners. McKenzie form.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

cape problem

This response submitted by rowdy in mo on 01/25/2003. ( ) 12.147.41.194

Fred, what kind of tan? how wet was cape when mounted? could it need more drying? but if it just falls out you can try some stop slip it sometimes works. but if you can't save it don't panic there's plenty of capes around. to romove cut stitch and peel hide off (rehydrate in barrel of water if it won't budge!)post size of cape if you need one.

Slow drying hair falling

This response submitted by Aaron Honeycutt on 01/25/2003. ( mhoney@mindspring.com ) 165.247.132.156

Fred, If this is a heavy thick haired cape I wouldn't give up yet. It may be no good but I would give it some more time. I mounted a cape that I bought out of Montana a while back which shed hair at an alarming rate, Like you, I was about to tear it down but instead put it in my attic where it was very warm and a week later all looked much better. Try it in the warmest dry area that you have . The very thick hair is a great insulator and will hold moisture enough to prevent drying around the hair roots where all this problem originates. After all of your work to mount the critter try once more for a week or 2. You may get lucky--Aaron H.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu