Need help removing smell from skull plate

Submitted by Terry on 08/04/2003. ( Terry097@aol.cm ) 205.188.209.69

I have a skull plate with antlers attatched. I would like to do a antler mount. But a freind let the skull and antlers set in a bucket of water for a few months in 90 degree weather. Now they stink like rotten flesh. What can I do or use to get rid of the smell? I tried bleach. Thanks for your time.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Antlers

This response submitted by George on 08/04/2003. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.208.169

Terry,
In a bucket of warm water (approximately 2 gallons) mix a cap full of Downey clothes softener. This makes the water wetter and the warm water will open bone pores to allow saturation. Set them in this overnight. Then set them out in the sun for a day. You'll be left with a Downey smell,but that's much better than the putrid one you have now.

BETTER YET

This response submitted by BUZZ on 08/04/2003. ( OLYTAX@AOL.COM ) 198.81.26.102

JUST BOIL THEM IN WATER AND CLEAN THEM OFF......IT'LL KILL ANY SMELL

put lysol on skull plate

This response submitted by dwl on 08/04/2003. ( ) 168.178.126.145

put some brown bottle lysol liquid on skull plate use a paper towel to do this. might take a couple different applications but will remove bad smell.

Funky skulls

This response submitted by Jeanette Hall on 08/04/2003. ( eagle93245@yahoo.com ) 198.81.26.102

I am NOTORIOUS for my funky, stinky skulls. Today is a great example... Last Friday (July 25) I threw 3 pig heads (very raw and with extra fat) in the boil pot behind the shop. I turned it on and within a few minutes the propane was empty. I decided to leave them overnite and get propane in the morning. As you might have guessed I completely forgot about the pig heads. I'm getting old and my mind just can't keep up with remembering things like rotten pig heads. Today I kept smelling this horrific smell enveloping the building. As soon as I opened up the shop the neighbor same by to ask me if I had murdered my latest boyfriend and drug him around back. Then it hit me! Funky pig heads! I cautiously went around to where the smell was. It was the most disgusting thing I had seen in while. I went back inside and got my rubber gloves and a clothespin. The good news was that the skulls were totally clean and I had no work to do on them. The bad news, they reeked so bad that I could TASTE the stench. After dumping out the putrid flesh water (it sucked to wear flipflops today) I got 2 5 gallon buckets. I sat uppers in one bucket and lower jaws in the other bucket. I added 4 cupfulls of Downey fabric softener to each bucket. Then, I threw in some Lysol bacteria killer and some cedar oil. That was this morning. I just pulled the skulls out and they still have a slight odor, but are not so rancid that you want to puke within 3 feet of them. I mixed up some Clarol bleach and some base and painted that on them to get em white. The smell of that seemed to over ride the last bit of stench. Now I just need to figure out how to get the stink off my toes from that funk that was spilled on them. Any suggestions?

-Jeanette

Funky

This response submitted by eagle on 09/22/2003. ( eagle93245@yahoo.com ) 202.141.153.242

hi'how are you

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu