bleaching a whitetail throat patch?

Submitted by ted pennington on 02/01/2004. ( ) 65.100.220.57

I am wondering if you could bleach a uneven blotchy colored throat patch on a deer that has been mounted,using womens hair care products.This may sound crazy but I would like too lighten up a throat patch on a mount that is very uneven,can it be done?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Maybe, yes

This response submitted by Mark H on 02/01/2004. ( haskees@access4less.net ) 64.63.205.146

This can be done by using a product called Basic White and a 20 or 40 volume developer you get from a salon supply house. I would take a scrap piece of hide to try this on before I would put it on my mount.

Mix the Basic White with the developer and make a semi paste, not too runny or to thick. Apply to area you want to bleach out(cause basically that is what you are doing to the hair)and make sure you cover only the area you want done. Apply Saran Wrap around the area and put some heat to it, medium setting on blow dryer is fine. When the product is dry it is done working. If this works and you have achieved the level of white you want rinse with water and groom as usual, if it's not white enough you can reapply.

Hopes this helps.
Mark

Would it not be easier

This response submitted by Ray on 02/01/2004. ( . ) 63.191.144.100

To just air brush the area.? I have found another easy way to apply colors to your hide and that is by useing the cream paints that will get a hard coating on the top. there almost like a paste. . i scrape the top layer off and use a fan brush. . just another idea.

Neither, leave it alone

This response submitted by George on 02/01/2004. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.96.104

Bleach can end up making white deer hair look yellow. It's hollow, remember, and bleaching it can cause problems. Paint? No way. It'll either flake off or make the hair gummy. Remount the deer using another cape if it's a problem, otherwise, leave well enough alone.

I said

This response submitted by Mark H on 02/01/2004. ( haskees@access4less.net ) 64.63.205.158

Maybe. I also stated that it should be tested on a scrap piece of deer hide first. It might turn yellow or it might not. If it doesn't work, I agree with George, use a new cape or leave it alone.

I also

This response submitted by Mark H on 02/01/2004. ( haskees@access4less.net ) 64.63.205.158

Agree with George, never paint the hair! It will look dirty or worse yet, like you painted it.

So your saying

This response submitted by Ray on 02/01/2004. ( hunterray2002@yahoo.com ) 63.191.144.100

Airbrushing techniques that have been posted in Taxidermy Today. for deer. and airbrushing on my research taxidermy howto video's . are all wrong then? God what the he$$ is a guy suppose to believe. See there again. i believe this is another personal prefferance.. George. you know as well as anyone. that people are airbrushing there deer. especially around the ears .and eye area's ....

When you

This response submitted by Mark H on 02/01/2004. ( haskees@access4less.net ) 64.63.205.206

Are airbrushing around the eyes, ears, nose and nostrils etc. You are putting the pigment back into the skin not the hair. After the paint is dry you rub off the overspray on the hair with a soft rag around the ears, eyes, nose pad, nostrils and any imperfections that may show skin and not hair.

Take your experimental piece of deer hide and airbrush the hair and see what you come up with. I'd bet it will look gummy.

George, I don't really know if hollow hair has anything to do with the hair turning yellow or not. The hair shaft still has pigment to it and by and you are bleaching the pigment out of the hair. When your application is done and it looks yellow, reapply your mix. As long as you rinse the area and dry you can reapply as many times as needed without hurting the hair. Make sure you don't overlap any areas that you don't want bleached during the reapplication.

George, problems?

This response submitted by Mark H on 02/01/2004. ( haskees@access4less.net ) 64.63.205.206

If this application would cause problems, don't you think that all the hairstylist would use something else?

Women (and some men)have been bleaching their hair for years and years. Just to name a few, Marylin Monroe, Jane Mansfield and Loni Anderson etc.

Sometimes it takes several applications and hours to reach the level that you are trying to achieve.

Thanks mark.

This response submitted by Ray, on 02/01/2004. ( h.r ) 63.191.144.100

Just learnt something else.lol always room for improvement. .

Mark

This response submitted by George on 02/01/2004. ( ) 152.163.252.162

The hollow hair IS the problem as there's no pigment inside it. Human hair, conversely is solid and does bleach or color easily because of that. Where's Frank Kotula. His wife is a hair dresser and she can explain it much better than I. And thanx for pointing out the air brushing of the deer's SKIN versus it's hair.

BTW Ray, do you know what color a polar bear's skin is? Would you believe BLACK?

Yes

This response submitted by Ray on 02/01/2004. ( h.r ) 65.177.113.93

Ya know George i would believe that ,but unfortunately i havent seen to many of them in Pa. lol Now i have seen a few snipes and snow snakes in the area but havent had the opportunity to mount any..

I'm sorry George if i've offended. Just me getting frustrated. seems theres so many things and so many different answers. is hard for a person to get a grasp. and i know i am not the only person that feels this way. I mean my land look at how many ways there are to flesh a hide. and how many ways to preserve a hide. . Then you have guys asking well which do i choose? which is best. then boom 10 different answers. lol. I guess there again like i have said before .personal prefferance.Dont get me wrong tho George. I admire you for your knowledge. and i appreciate the times you have helped me.BUUUUUUT. obviously we arent the only people in the forum that knows a little about certian things.

WHAT?

This response submitted by Dean on 02/01/2004. ( ) 152.163.252.162

Come on yall......Loni Anderson bleaches her hair?.....Dayum I thought that was all Natural!.......

My wife

This response submitted by Mark H on 02/01/2004. ( haskees@access4less.net ) 64.63.205.229

Is a professional colorist (22 years) and we are saying it might be a problem. The human hair shaft is composed of three layers, they are the cuticle, cortex and the medulla. The second layer (cortex)holds the melanin (the pigment), so when a colorist is permanently coloring the human hair it has to penetrate to the cortex (the second layer). when you see the temporary coloring that washes out, that is only penetrating the cuticle (the first layer).

The deer hair being hollow must only have the one layer and the pigment is in that layer, so I can't see where hollow hair in itself can be the problem, or what is the problem? Is it just that it may turn yellow? If it does reapply until you get the right lift.

George, I appreciate your knowledge on this forum. You are pretty sharp in my book. I'm going to take my own advice and conduct my own experiment with a scrap piece of deer. Maybe hollow hair is the problem. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for the compliment on the airbrushing portion of our debate George, I appreciate that.
Mark

burn

This response submitted by terry v on 02/02/2004. ( ) 216.120.182.51

the hair of a whitetail will burn and become brittle using the hair whiting products talked about in this post. You can use oil paints on deer hair. The end results depends on how good you are.

Hollow Hair

This response submitted by Leslie on 02/02/2004. ( ) 208.180.126.206

I've heard that the problem with hollow hair is that the bleach will remain inside the hair and slowly break it down. The hair will get brittle and begin to break off. Haven't tried it though. I figured if the hair was easy to color, there would be alot more albino mounts running around... :)
Les

bleaching hollow hair

This response submitted by Laurier on 02/02/2004. ( houlel@onlink.net ) 209.105.208.49

bleaching the white troat of the deer can be done (try a scrap one first) use 50% peroxide and magnesium carbinate into a paste apply for no more then 20 minutes (rince very very well) if it yellows,you are leaving it on to long.Same as Dall sheep,the are bleached bone white not natural and if it is bleached to much it will burn the hair ends. Any questions or problems call me at (705)476-0483

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu