leveling pupil on deer

Submitted by GUS on 02/04/2004. ( gus@gustaxidermy.com ) 204.221.26.171

what is the correct way to level eys on deer forms? verticle is a
gimme (put your level on the back of the form) but how do you get the horiz. position correct?

Thanks

GUS

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Place your level on the backboard of the deer.

This response submitted by JOhn C on 02/04/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Level it for a verticle plumb, next place the level where the antlers will attach, adjust as needed for level.

Now place the level on the eye orbit, adjust until it also os level, scribe a line of each side of eye orbit.

Set your eye and line these makes up with a straight edge and adjust the eye until the pupil is level and lines up with the scribed marks.

Now find the center of the nose, use calipers, keeping one point on the center of nose, measure to the front end of the pupil, adjust eye eye until they are centered, also measure to the back end of the pupil.

Check for lever pupil again.

Now find the center of the bottom jaw, keep one point of the caliper on the center bottom jaw, measure the distance to the center of the pupil, repeat the other side.

Sculpt in with your clay and measure the distance to front and rear corners the same way.

Also set the antlers using the caliper front nose center to antler burr, and bottom center of jaw to antler burr.

Adjust angle to fit deer or your choice of angles.

You won't believe this, but here goes anyway. DON'T

This response submitted by George on 02/04/2004. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.208.9

I did it for years and then I had Ken Walker give me a few lessons. He never touched the level. I asked why and his reply, as any of you who know Ken would expect, was why screw with Mother Nature. He told me to sit in front of the nose of the mannikin and install the eyes where they were looking in the direction I desired. If they were "looking" where I wanted, why use a level. I quickly saw that if the pupils are misaligned, they won't "look" normally. He doesn't seem to have done to badly using his method and since then, I have a level gathering dust on my workbench.

Ive been telling folks that for a long time...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 02/04/2004. ( ) 152.163.252.167

I was even ridiculed (by a self proclaimed expert) for saying so. Go figure! It IS the easiest way, though...Ken is living proof, and so is George now, hahaha.

Thanx Bill

This response submitted by George on 02/04/2004. ( ) 205.188.208.9

Certainly not in the class of you two, but I was almost scared (not really) to say that. I'm glad to know it's not a "secret" from those that are truly expert.

George

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 02/05/2004. ( ) 64.12.96.104

I hope you didnt take me wrong there on that last sentence. It was in fun, not being sarcastic. Just in case you misread me!

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu