Wrinckles under the chin

Submitted by Steve on 02/04/2004. ( ) 216.129.231.7

I really like McKenzie forms, but I recently did a couple of full upright forms and had a heck of a time getting the wrinckles out of the cape in the white throat patch area. I suspect this is partially because I kept shifting the cape too far forward to get it sewed up on a big neck. I heard that one guy smooths these wrinkles out toward the chin. I'll have to try that. The cape was so tight in the neck area that it wouldn't taxi back the other direction to get the wrinckles out. I heard another guy mention that he has trouble with the exact problem on some McKenzie forms. I probably just need to use a slightly smaller form. Any suggestions would be appreciated....Thanks, Steve

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Yup You suspitions are correct

This response submitted by Tenbears on 02/04/2004. ( ) 64.12.96.102

Depending on the series. I think it was the 7800 series, but can't recall for sure. This problem was inherent. If you did a full cut down the back, it allows the hide to be pulled upward while sewing to get the hide needed for closure. At this point you have 3 options. Depending On the glue you used, and the length of time since mounting. 1, Remove the cape, Thin the neck of the form, and remount. 2. Remove the cape, mount on smaller form. 3. Malitize the wrinkles, do this by taping the wrinkles with a mallet. it drives them into the form, then you can smooth the hair and it will not show.

It's The Form

This response submitted by Old Fart on 02/04/2004. ( ) 64.122.137.19

The McKenzie upright for is not proportioned correctly. Try Meder of Research when you do uprights and you will not have that problem.

even more...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 02/04/2004. ( ) 152.163.252.197

Some of those styles, like the full upright, were a bit tall from top to bottom. That alone will pull the neck juncture. Plus, so many mounts I see out there have antlers set too high and ear butts over filled, both of which will add to the problem. Just a few things for you to check, anyway! I just take a quick wedge out of the head and mount on...

This response submitted by Kenneth on 02/04/2004. ( ) 164.58.213.12

I always have to alter particular McKenzie forms due to the depth of the head. I avoid this problem by not ordering their newer mannikins. Plus, I don't care to pay extra $$$$ for a form that is not superior to a few others out there.

Three words for you and your problems will be over

This response submitted by Matt on 02/04/2004. ( ) 67.74.1.161

TRY Research Mannikins. That's really all that needs to be said, believe me there is no other manikin that fits the way they do. Hmmm, could be because they are correct.

cape problem

This response submitted by Laurier on 02/04/2004. ( houlel@onlink.net ) 209.105.208.76

As you all know manikins come is diferent sizes. Their is 29 subspecies of whitetail.When ordering a mannikin be sure that the manikin is scupted from the area that your deer mount is from.
A large texas W.T. will not fit a manikin from Canada ( using the same measurements ) also manikins are only a base size take proper measurements before you skin and if the manikin measurements are the same the cape will fit.
When mounting anything reference is the most important thing animals have many natural wrinckles. African animals at times have many large wrinckles and sometimes they don't, this depends on if they just had a drink,later in the day you will find more wrinckles on them as they dehydrate.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu