Cut half way or all the way

Submitted by Justin on 02/03/2004. ( jda24d@rushmore.com ) 209.159.236.30

When skinning deer what is the best way to skin the neck? Is it better to Y off of the antlers and go half way down or just go all the way? It seems to me its better to go half way, but so many people go all the way.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

i usally go down

This response submitted by jimsoverns on 02/03/2004. ( ironwolf_1@msn.com ) 65.54.98.28

as far as the neck meat for ease of skinning,,,but the farther you cut the more you have to sew,,,hope this helps,jim

Another Individual Thing

This response submitted by Tenbears on 02/03/2004. ( ) 152.163.252.163

Everyone has their own preferences, and with each comes their own reasoning. We do Y or 7 Cuts. Keeping the tail of the cut as short as possible. Just enough to get the skull out. Here are our reasons. 1, It saves a lot of sewing time. 2, There is never a concern with the mount having a mane, 3, Our cape stretcher does not work on a cape that has been split all the way.

Me too, Tenbears

This response submitted by George on 02/03/2004. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.96.43

When I get a head in with extra neck meat, I don't make the tail of the "Y" reach it, I turn the hide and remove the neck. I never use anything but a scalpel to sever the neck from the head either. If you skin it down to the neck/jaw juncture, you cut through the larynx, you'll hit the terminus of the spine and skull. Cutting on either side of that joint releases the tendons and you can then cut from the upper portion of the neck to remove that chunk of meat leaving only the head encased. When you cut your "Y", the tail will only need to be about 4 inches long at the most.

Long so far

This response submitted by Kraig on 02/03/2004. ( ) 129.19.160.95

I am not a seasoned taxi man yet but this is what I have found.
I happen to live less than a 1/4 mile from the tanner I use. I took in a cape last year that was tubed using the short y and he informed me that he charges 20% extra for that. He said he doesn't get much call for the short y cuts? When I picked the cape up a month ago he was very appologetic as it seemed that some how the cape got split all the way up the back. He refunded my money and it was not a big deal but I didn't get to try the short version. I can see the benefit of not having the seam up the back but isn't it harder to stretch the hide unless you have some sort of stretcher already for this?

Not if you've measured properly

This response submitted by George on 02/04/2004. ( ) 205.188.208.104

I've never had any problems. You just have to learn to do your clay work through the "Y" incision hole.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu