Need advice

Submitted by bobby on 02/03/2004. ( ) 69.22.49.73

I have a whitetail buck and need advice on which style of mount would show him off the best. He has a 23" inside spread and is a main frame 7x7. The problem is that he is much stronger tine wise on his right side. Example: right g4=7 6/8" - left g4=5 2/8". He has 25" main beams but left side tines average about 2" shorter than right side. Any recommendations on which mannikins might be best?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

What I do

This response submitted by George on 02/03/2004. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.96.102

I try to turn my deer into their best sides so that's the side that reflects against the wall. In your case, I'd use a right turn if the right beam was the better of the two.

I'm just the opposite of George

This response submitted by Bruce Norton on 02/03/2004. ( ) 155.76.241.129

Most of my customers want the best side of the rack to be shown off my having it furthest from the wall. So, I would do a left turn so that the right beam is more visable than the left. Maybe you should just flip a coin!

left side- right side

This response submitted by Aaron Honeycutt on 02/04/2004. ( mhoneyATmindspring.com ) 207.69.15.90

Why not set the rack up and look at it from a distance and see what looks best to you? Some racks have a definite good side but I don't think a hard rule is the best way to go. I generally think the best side turned out toward the viewer looks best but sometimes it just isn't right that way. When it comes down to it you are the one that will be seeing it most so it should suit you. Sounds like a heck of a nice deer so I doubt either way would be bad. As for a suggestion for a mannikin, I like the wall pedestals and some give the antlers a near staight on position while still having the nice body curves (McKenzie). Enjoy, Aaron H.

What I do

This response submitted by Jeff C on 02/04/2004. ( jc2@adelphia.com ) 68.170.133.43

For my own deer, I mount them just like they were when i got him/her. If one comes in sneaking turned to the left, thats how i do him. If it comes in upright and alert , well you get the picture. Thats also what i recommend to coustmers (although as long as the moneys there they can have it any way theyd like). Just me 2 cents. Jeff C

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu