Whitetail subspecies map

Submitted by Daniel on 02/03/2004. ( Galileo460@aol.com ) 64.12.96.202

I am looking for a good map showing the distribution of whitetail subspecies. I found one on whitetailworld.com (I believe) but it was from the 1970s and not very clear at all. I remember seeing one recently that was in color and very easy to read but I can't seem to find it...may have even been in a book.

I live just southwest of St. Louis by about 30 miles. The deer I have shot and had a good look at are much different than the deer I have shot and have seen in Northern Missouri. The difference is amazing. Therefore, I am wondering if these are in fact two different subspecies.

I'd also like to see one to help with buying capes to match deer taken from specific areas.

Thanks for everyone's help...this is an interesting topic!

Daniel

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Hey I just look at that map, not even close

This response submitted by JOhn C on 02/03/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Back in the 1920-30's Arkansas brought in a large number of deer from Minnesota, but that being a hundred generations ago. The deer have pretty much reverted back the small Arkansas type breed.

I feel it very safe to say Arkansas nolonger and maybe never had the Kansas Deer linage. Having operated a shop in both states, central Kansas and the Ozarks, these are different supspecies than the Kansas deer. I have mounted a goodly number of deer from down in the delta region. Kansas subspecies, It just aint so!

Check out the QDMA

This response submitted by shooter on 02/03/2004. ( ccannon@telepak.net ) 66.175.168.11

they may have what your looking for.

Good Luck,
God Bless,

Clif

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu