Real Ears glue

Submitted by ducksplus on 02/08/2004. ( ducksplus@hotmail.com ) 64.156.77.156

I used "real ears" glue on my last deer head and had some major drumming problems with my earliners. I like the soft pink look it gave my ears but they drummed bad! Has anyone else used this product with luck? Let me know how you go about using it. I did mine like i usually do with other glues, was the ear with thinner then towel dry then glue. Any help would be great.

Thanks
mike

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

earliners

This response submitted by dan on 02/09/2004. ( ) 209.247.222.47

I wash my liners with laquer thinner then i go over them with a stout ruffer then glue and mount.

same problem

This response submitted by Michelle B on 02/09/2004. ( laurelmt@lhtc.net ) 65.167.183.40

I ONLY used it once, for that same reason, aweful drumming.
I wipe every pair of ear liners w/acetone & scrape w/ a rasp.

It took 3 days to dry stiff- the ears layed in the liners nice, not tight, and they still drummed. I won't use it again.

Bag it!

This response submitted by Paul C on 02/09/2004. ( ) 65.120.105.58

I've used it for years (as well as several others) and don't have a problem with it. As with ANY glue, if your skin does not fit LOOSELY it will drum--plain and simple. If your liners fit properly the best way to eliminate drummming in ears is to dry them slowly. Immediately after mounting put a bag around the ears and squeeze the air out. Leave it on for 4 or 5 days (longer in the winter because of furnaces) while checking the ears every day.
Drumming can easily be fixed by injecting caulking and then rewetting the drummed area but it needs to dry slowly. Real ears produces the best color I've found and, when used properly, practically eliminates the need for ear painting. However, as with ANY glue, they will drum if simply left to dry without any babysitting.
Don't want to babysit?--the epoxies might be your answer.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu