Epo-Grip and wet clay

Submitted by David on 02/06/2004. ( ) 143.199.125.10

I am going to be mounting a deer cape that has a short Y incision.
If I slip the cape over the form, and then re-attach the antlers to the form and fill the gaps between the skull plate and the form with critter clay. Will the Epo-Grip epoxie stick to the clay if the clay is not in a dry hardened state when the cape is closed up around it? I am worried that the epoxie will dry before the clay will dry and thus will not bond to the surface where the clay is. What are tour thoughts.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Ok, here the answer yes its fine.

This response submitted by JOhn C on 02/06/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Let me ask you a question, do you think the taxidermist that did the field testing are so dumb that "Your problem" was not tested? Do you think that they never used and clay for ear butts?

Now let me ask you something, are you not setting the antlers with bondo and getting the preset for that form?

You should go back and read this weeks post on antler angles if you are just using clay. Moust of us preset and shape up most of the tissue on the skull plate/

some thoughts

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 02/06/2004. ( ) 64.12.96.104

Of course, the epoxie is not adhering to the clay, as its still wet when the epoxy sets. But, those who still use this method are counting on the epoxy hardening and holding the skin in place as the clay dries to shape against the skin. My advice would be to use a filler other than clay that hardens before the epoxy or an adhesive that is water based for around the clayed areas, and continue with epoxy everywhere else.

Yes it bonds to the wet surface!

This response submitted by Steve Steinbring/Epo-Grip on 02/06/2004. ( nsc@netrus.net ) 206.251.198.138

The Epo-Grip epoxy hide adhesive will bond to the damp clay as long as it is not oily. This does not however prevent any shrinkage in the clay. When making repairs to swimming pools or re-surfacing concrete floors we use an epoxy as a binder between the wet repair material and the base surface. Even though the material is wet it bonds the two surfaces together as one when it is dry.

I stand corrected

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 02/06/2004. ( ) 205.188.209.6

I was incorrect here. Steve explained to me how this really works. He told me that the epoxy does bond to the surface of the clay and, as the clay dries, becomes one material, bonded by the initial surface bond, to the epoxy, and to the skin. Im sorry if this confused anyone.

Thanks

This response submitted by David on 02/06/2004. ( ) 143.199.125.10

Cool, thanks for the help. This will be the first time I was thinking of doing a mount while the clay is still wet. Every other time I moulded the skull cap and form juncture, then I took the antlers off when it was dry and re-attached the whole thing after the clay was dry. It has always worked out fine that way, but I was wondering if this way would work as well. Thank you all again for the input.

Response to JOhn C

This response submitted by Greg on 02/08/2004. ( ) 208.186.44.165

Yes, I have a great response to John C. You are a very rude individual and you do not have to talk to people with such ignorance.Also you should re-read your responses and make sure that you spelled everything clearly because you obviously had trouble in that area.

Greg, yep I know my spelling is not worth crap

This response submitted by John C on 02/08/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Dont open your mouth is you dont know why.

Greg I will take your advice under consideration.

This response submitted by JOhn C on 02/08/2004. ( taxidermist118@hotmail.com ) 66.233.157.155

Please tell me which words were mispelled and how to correct the grammer.

How was my post rude? Maybe you should take a look at my post read it again.

"talk to people with such ignorance"
Maybe you need to look at how you phrased that statement!

Rude Comments

This response submitted by Steve Collins on 02/12/2004. ( bondzo@hotmail.com ) 68.45.197.154

I dont think that ingnorance is the proper term for John's post. It does however sound a bit sarcastic. Excuse me if my spelling on that word is not correct. hehe.
I think John gets his point across very well but it does come off as sarcasm probably not intentionally.
Just my thoughts

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu