lend me your ear

Submitted by Drptine on 02/07/2004. ( ) 66.163.143.38

I am using a 6500 series s.s. for from McKenzie when I close incision the molded spot for the ears is about 2 1/2" to far forward. I wonder if I measured wrong or if there is something else that I am doing wrong. I have had this happen 2 times this year both times w/ the same form I think. I filled the molded ear base and built new spot further back so its not a complete disaster but I would sure like to know for sure whats wrong. I took measurement right behing ears and again down 3 inches from there. Thank you for any correspondence.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

What kind of tan are you useing?

This response submitted by Dean Gregg ( Coal Hollow Taxidermy) on 02/07/2004. ( gregg8664@msn.com ) 65.128.92.63

It almost sounds to me like you are not getting any streach out of you hide. Did you thin the hide? Did you neutralize the tan? Did you rehydrate a factory tan fully ? Are you sure of your measurements ? These all could play a roll in whats going on. Tell us more about what you are doing so we will be on the same page.

6500 Ear butts

This response submitted by Kenneth on 02/07/2004. ( ) 69.148.136.18

I am not really following you on your description of your problem, but, I think I can help. I have used hundreds of 6500's in my shop over the years. I have competed with them and scored very well. But, there are several problems with the form. One of the major problems is the presculpted ear butts. The butts on the form will cause your deer's ears to be elongated and set out too far from the skull. You will have to modify them to accomidate your earliners or bonded ears. Here is what I do. I set my antler plate in bondo. As it is kicking, I take a big wood rasp and shave the butts completely off the form. Now the back of the head and my bonded skull plate are even. When your ears are set and mounted, get nose to nose with your deer. Look down the sides of the face. You should only pick up about a 1/4" of butt between the head and "v-notch" in the ear. If you leave the butts on and do not alter them. This will make this distance about 1 1/2 inches. Get rid of the presculpted butts. This is my opinion. I am sure others will vary. Good Luck.

not the forms fault

This response submitted by paul on 02/07/2004. ( ) 68.83.60.145

i used to have this same problem until i stoped over-STRETCHING the cape, better to order a 1 in. smaller size form and stack the skin
in other words keep moving skin up onto the neck, you will get a fuller appearance and your ears will be up where they belong. i agree with ken about the butts on the liners they gotta go. this will give you the opportunity to give some different expressions to the ears also. happy mounting

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu