fleshing machine purchase question

Submitted by Mike C on 02/10/2004. ( ) 168.159.190.36

I am doing about 10 or so whitetail shoulder mounts a year as a hobby and I really enjoy doing it. I have been doing all of my rough fleshing by hand on a fleshing beam and then turning the lips,eyes, and ears. It takes me about 3 or 4 hours to do one cape. I was thinking about buying a fleshing machine to assist in the rough fleshing. I send my capes out for commercial tanning and I dont have any thoughts of tanning myself in the future. I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it. I did look in the archives but I did not see exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for all of your help
Mike C.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

If I were you

This response submitted by Sandy on 02/10/2004. ( ) 209.158.66.2

Just a personal opinion...Lets say you are purchasing a GOOD fleshing machine....I do not see the benefit of spending 1000 - 2000 dollars for 10 deer when you are not tanning them...But if you were to get into tanning them, I think a fleshing machine is a great investment. That one is up to you..whether you want to spend money or not. I just know once I got my fleshing machine, most of my stuff is now tanned at home.

I would

This response submitted by Mike on 02/10/2004. ( ) 66.2.149.34

not buy a fleshing machine unless you plan to tan yourselve. The tanery should be fleshing (thinning) your hide with a machine before tanning. Maybe you are spending to much time on the rough fleshing job. All you need to do it cut away the meat. It never takes me more than 2-hours to turn earns, lips and flesh and salt a cape, usually closer and I'm slow.

I have a Quebec Lite

This response submitted by Mike Dunbar on 02/10/2004. ( ) 209.206.208.190

and I didn't use it once to rough flesh 35 or so capes this fall. I use the maching to shave but find it faster to flesh with a PVC beam and a drawknife.

Use the wire wheel

This response submitted by Ray on 02/10/2004. ( hunterray2002@yahoo.com ) 4.23.225.56

Why not give the wire wheel benchgrinder method a try to get the same results.? save yourself alot of money also.

What I'd do...

This response submitted by Steve on 02/11/2004. ( ) 216.220.22.29

If you are going to send all your deer out to a tannery, I'd by a scraping knife and build yourself a beam. This will be good enough to prepare deer capes for salting prior to shipping to a tannery. If you are going to try tanning a mini-flesher works okay to start with. They are over-priced for what they are, but work okay on deer capes and are handy for face fleshing. They aren't near as fast as a full sized fleshing machine, but you can do a deer cape in about an hour or so with one....Steve

Why ?

This response submitted by The Rookie on 02/11/2004. ( NaturesTrophies@aol ) 64.12.96.103

Why are you worried about fleshing? If you're dealing with a reputitable tannery then that should'nt be your responsibility. Remove all red meat, split eyes and lips,split ears or remove cartilage, remove cartilage from nose,salt for 24,shake off,salt freshly again and wait for cape to harden. At this point ship off and spend the extra two hours doing what YOU want! Peace- Jeff F.

Ray, I'll tell you again

This response submitted by George on 02/11/2004. ( ) 205.188.209.72

Your jury rigged wire wheel WON'T do the same thing that a fleshing machine does. Namely SHAVE THE HIDE. You also won't have to pick meat out of your teeth either.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu