George R, results of hair test

Submitted by Mark H on 02/12/2004. ( haskees@access4less.net ) 64.63.205.56

I took a scrap piece of hide that had part of the leg as to try and match the color change between the body hair and the leg hair. The results are as follows:

I applied the first application to the hair and covered with saran wrap and hit it with the blowdryer on low heat to speed up the process. Once the solution was dry and powdery I rinsed thougherly. I used the air hose and blowdryer to dry the hair. The hair had lifted to almost a perfect match, just a little too yellow in a couple of areas. I also had carried the application a little into the leg hair and that had actually lifted to a real nice white. The hair didn't seem to be brittle or breaking any easier than it normally would. I decided to try another application. After rinsing the application off I then applied a conditioner to the hair and let it set then rinsed again. The end result was a very nice lightened color.

After the second application the hair did seem a little brittle and was breaking easier than before the first application and more than normal. I checked the hair again this morning and the end result is still some breakage but not enough for me to say not to use this technique. I don't know if it will continue to weaken the hair because it has been rinsed thoughrely. I have used this formula on Mt Goats and Dall Sheep and didn't really notice any breakage.

Conclusion: Hollow hair can be a problem. After conducting this test I would say try and achieve what color you want on the first attempt and use on a small area only or go to one of the suppliers out there and try some of their whitening products. I think Van Dyke's has one that has had good results on this forum.

George, thanks for the debate and the challenge. I concede that the hair being hollow is probably the problem as it is not solid and can be easily damaged.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

You're welcome Mark, and thank YOU

This response submitted by George on 02/12/2004. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.208.6

I'm glad you printed the results here for all to see in the future. It'll like help someone else down the line. Thanks.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu