re-stretching?

Submitted by randell on 02/13/2004. ( trapper12@earthlink.net ) 207.69.139.9

I recently purchased a 10x24 red deer cape that was wet tanned well by the time it got to me it was about 9x 20 .my question it can I rehydrate it and stretch it back out to at least 22"?
thanks for ant replies

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

stretching a cape

This response submitted by Aaron Honeycutt on 02/14/2004. ( mhoneyATmindspring.com ) 207.69.15.25

Randell, The shrinkage you describe sounds quite normal to me- about 10%. Wet tans don't shrink down as much as tans do when they are dried but they certainly do draw up some. Just streatch it widthwise mostly, I'm sure you can get 2" more. If you experience real trouble getting back the original size it is usually due to insufficient shaving of the cape (remedy=shave better). Enjoy, Aaron H.

soak it up again

This response submitted by juice on 02/16/2004. ( ) 67.4.20.254

hey trapper 12, soak that cape in water for about 45 min. drain it for about 10 min. bag it over night and then the next day drain it again for another 10. set it on your bench and stretch it hard. grab ahold of it right under the ears and stretch it good. put some muscle into it. then keep going lower and lower stretch it the same way. when you get to the bottom it will naturally pull back up top to the right measurements. alot of you beginners need not be afraid to really get down and pull on these tanned capes and stretch them good and hard and watch that neck measurement climb right on up to the exact measurement that it should be. if it doesn`t, the cape was improperly shaved. i bought a mini flesher just for that reason a time ago and sometimes i shave these capes after they`re tanned to get more out of them.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu