Antler stain

Submitted by Bojack on 02/16/2004. ( dannon_davis@yahoo.com ) 24.204.104.86

I was finishing up a European mount for a customer this weekend and the horns were kindof bleached out. He brought it to me this way, he tried to boil it out himself. Any way I had some burnt umber oil paint and used it to finish the horns. They turned out awesome. Just put some on a rag and rub them down really good. Then went over them with some steel wool. They looked great. When I got done with his I got an old elk shed I found in Co a couple of years ago and done it. Looks like it just fell off the head.
Anyone else ever use oil paints?
Bojack

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Never used oil

This response submitted by Ray on 02/16/2004. ( hunterray2002@yahoo.com ) 4.23.225.251

paints to stain but i have used potasium permaganate to do the antlers on a european mount i have. But hey what the hell do i know i'm just a dumb redneck that uses a wire wheel to shave deer hides. . Ray.

Yup

This response submitted by Raven on 02/16/2004. ( ) 24.150.166.254

Also used acrylics a lot. I dont like stains though - they always end up looking fake to me. Even ones that people have shown me that were well appraised as being a quality staining job still looked fake. I have zero faith in stains and use nothing but paints to touch up oldies.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu