drumming in ears

Submitted by Todd Adams on 02/14/2004. ( ) 151.199.23.31

I mounted my ears on a whitetail with the cartilage out and used the eppley ear liners, that i lightly sanded to get good adhesion. The glue that i used was buckeye supreme hide paste. My problem is in the area of the widest point of the ear, on the inside it is just not sticking to the earliner, there is probably a 1/4 inch gap, and it is not tight, there is enough skin there to stick but it just is'nt. Could i use something else to make it stay like staples and then remove the staples after it is dried? Thanks in advance....Todd

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Sorry Todd

This response submitted by George on 02/14/2004. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.7

You can card it, staple it or clamp it but it will never be adhered to the earliner. I'll take your word that it fits, but most times, the earliner should've been trimmed prior to installing. Secondly, hide paste, even the best hide paste does a poor job of sticking hide to plastic. To get that done, I've found only epoxy, ONLY EPOXIE, works well for the long term.

george

This response submitted by todd adams on 02/14/2004. ( ) 129.44.182.20

Thanks George for the input, but on the earliners i ordered them a size smaller so i wouldn't have to trim them, there is a 1/4 inch gap around the perimeter of the ear. As for the epoxie, could you tell me what kind of epoxie that you use , is it the Epo-Grip, or another brand . Thanks for the input.........Todd

Another "fix"

This response submitted by Paul C on 02/14/2004. ( ) 65.120.100.81

George's suggestion of epoxy might be your best bet but, to deal with your current problem, try this. Inject latex caulking into the drummed area. Make sure you get enough in there. Now soak a paper towel with water and paper clip to the inside of the ear. Put a bag over the ear and let it soften--it should take less than an hour. When its soft again work the caulking around good inside and then put the bag back over it to slow the dry time. Check it several times a day until dry--but make sure it dries s l o w l y.
I've used this technique for years with great success. No matter how vigilant you are occasionally you will get drumming--especially during hunting season when you get the perfect wind for a particular stand or a new flight of ducks just arrived. That's when I have most of my "problems" any way.
Good luck!

Goerge, I beg to differ

This response submitted by Heath Cline on 02/14/2004. ( heath6799@yahoo.com ) 216.28.214.87

I also agree that an epoxy will work but Buckeye Supreme will also work! No matter what glue or epoxy a person is using, the ear MUST fit the liner first. I use the Supreme and have no problem. Funny, thats all we used at Buckeye Mannikins for years. And for the long term, I can show you World and National winning mounts that are 10-15 years old and still holding with Buckeye Supreme. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against epoxy's but it should be mentioned that they both will work.

Heath

This response submitted by George on 02/14/2004. ( ) 152.163.252.162

The facts remain the same as Bill Yox and I've discussed a dozen times: IF THE EARLINER FITS THE EAR, the adhesive won't matter very much regardless. The glue can hold without adhering, and, trust me, latex glue won't adhere to plastic. It will hold, however, and if the ear fits the earliner, you won't see any drumming unless there's outside pressures applied.

zap a gap

This response submitted by long-tong on 02/14/2004. ( ) 24.239.231.50

injest ut with zap a gap

I been

This response submitted by DT on 02/14/2004. ( ) 66.163.143.193

I just started doing this a couple weeks ago, I been roughing liner w/ 36 grit paper and using 5 minute epoxy. I also like to fit the ear to the liner prior to final insertion, I think it stretches it a little bit you can also see how well the liner will fit ear. I have also made myself 6 clamps, they work in pairs they are 1 1/2 in. long by 1/2 in. wide I put the very tip of a T pin so it sticks out about 1/8 1/16 in. in 4 places on this little piece of wood they are not all the same dimensions, I made then to fit three spots on natralook liner. I situate ear then place these clamps one on inside matching on outside and squeeze w/ pliers to set in place after they are set in place I put a plastic spring clip on them to hold them in place.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu