Ear transplant

Submitted by Dave on 02/18/2004. ( daveh@whirlawaycorporation.com ) 68.249.224.74

I got a deer in that was shot through the ear and the ear is destroyed. I have a cape that i can't use and i was thinking about cutting the ear off and sewing it on the other cape. Have any of you guys done anything like this before? Normally i would repair or mount and leave the holes visible, but this one was freezer burnt and dried out and the ear looks like someone hacked on it with a hatchet.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Dave.

This response submitted by Ray on 02/18/2004 at 14:58. ( . ) 4.23.225.236

Dave. can't say i have ever sewn another ear to another cape before. but if it were me .i would just simply replace the cape and let the guy know.

You can try it

This response submitted by Steve on 02/18/2004 at 22:50. ( ) 216.220.22.50

I did one mount this way. It was a big mule deer cape and it had one bad ear. I found another ear about the same size and color. I cut it off where the wrinkles are at in the front of the ear and sewed it on after tanning. It didn't turn out perfect but most people would never notice. I just hated to throw out a nice big cape like that...

Will the hair color match?

This response submitted by shannon m. on 02/22/2004 at 16:32. ( ) 199.120.84.185

Dave if i was you i would scrap the torn ear cape and just recape it. You may be able to replace an ear on a caribou or moose, but here in iowa i have found that hair color in whitetails vary greatly between indivduals. shannon

it can be done

This response submitted by mike on 02/28/2004 at 03:04. ( ) 198.81.26.43

not recomended but it can be done, found my self sewing on two ears once when the dogs got hold of a tanned cape, lost both ears on this mule buck. man was I sick, I ended up getting a whitail cuz the ears were just about the same size and carfully cut and sewed. They came out good except the hair pateren on the back of the ear were slightly off, and to this day after nine years the customer still doesn't know any better. Good luck!

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu