Bondo method for ears

Submitted by Jram on 02/17/2004. ( ) 67.64.6.51

I have been using the bondo method to set the ears on my
whitetail deer mounts. I was wandering if there is something
out there that would work just as well that is more rigid before
it cures and has a longer curing time. Apoxy sculpt would probably work but it's so expensive. Any suggestions?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Ear Magic.

This response submitted by John C on 02/17/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Bondo ears are strong when reinforced with glass fibers.

Give Ear Magic from Newton Supply a try its great stuff.

Jram

This response submitted by George on 02/17/2004. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.9

Did you even consider earliners?

Ear Magic

This response submitted by Dan on 02/17/2004. ( gobbler8@juno.com ) 68.135.141.157

Jram, John C told you correct on the new Epo-Grip ear magic . Steve sent me some to try just after it was developed and it works great . I like George mentioned still use ear liners some with the 2 part Epo-Grip adhesive. Tryed bondo for awhile and just never satisfied with its results.

Jram....

This response submitted by Griz on 02/17/2004. ( ) 69.66.86.233

I like the bondo ear method in certain situations, especially for slit and torn ears... i like my ears to set up real fast so i use alot of the hardener if you want it to set up slower don't use so much hardner, also some people use fiberglass resin but like John C. said use the fiberglass chop it is much better, I personally use excelsior cut up and it does fine but I once had nothing to use and i cut up hair from the excess off the cape and it really worked well. It makes it much more rigid to work with. Also for good bondo ears you have to keep the edges crisp and thin so use a hammer and lay the ear flat on the table and with a dragging tapping motion thin the edges of the ear. For the ear to be the correct shape it needs to be able to lay flat on a table top.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu