Altering a form?

Submitted by Chris on 02/19/2004 at 00:50. ( ) 66.163.143.233

I have been thinking about doing a browsing mount. I ordered a Joe Meeder sneak form w/ head up, is anyone familiar with this form and what it might look like in this position. I have never altered a form before I understand the procedure but I am not sure if this form will look right in that pose. When I looked at it in the catalog I thought it would make a really nice mount but now that I have it I am wondering if I should use a more upright form. I also purchased a lower lip cup that will pose a slightly open lower lip for this mount.
Any response will be greatly appreciated.
Chris

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Looking "right"....

This response submitted by Aaron Honeycutt on 02/19/2004 at 08:54. ( mhoneyATmindspring.com ) 207.69.14.38

Chris, Deer browse high and low. There is no "right" position as they will reach in any direction for food. If you like the form and do anatomically correct alterations the pose will be "right". That semi-sneak head up form by Joe Meeder is a very pleasing pose to my eye and I would not hesitate to use it in a browsing mount. Enjoy, Aaron H.

Thanks Aaron

This response submitted by Chris on 02/19/2004 at 13:16. ( ) 66.163.140.90

Thanks alot I guess I just needed a little reassurance.
Thanks again

I just ....

This response submitted by Jeanette Hall on 02/19/2004 at 14:26. ( eagle93245@yahoo.com ) 198.81.26.45

mounted a buck on that same form on Saturday. I had a few issues with this form, however. The brisket and front legs are not happy. They resemble up side down pyramids haphazardly stuck on the form. This made the brisket look awful once mounted. The brisket was rather shallow as well, making the cowlick look too low. The rest of the form was nice. I had to do some work on the face, but the main complaint was from the start of the shoulders back. The offset shoulder is large, but has no muscle detail whatsoever. Before starting, you might want to do some work to the shoulders and especially the brisket and leg areas. Just my 2 pennies worth!

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu