measurements too small

Submitted by Hank on 02/17/2004. ( ) 152.163.252.163

Hello,
I am doing my first few deer since I got out of taxidermy school. I for some reason am having problems with my neck measurements. I skinned out and salted four deer. Then I got the measurements out the other day to look at forms. The deer where already caped out when I recieved them had roughly 8 inches of the neck still on them. These are all Ohio deer so I looked in McKenzie(Ohio sculpted deer). For my across atlas measurment I measured the largest part left on the neck, about 8 inches down from back of skull after I skinned the deer out. These are the four sets of measurements I got, eye to nose 7 1/4 neck at atlas 17 eye to nose 7 1/8 neck b. ears 15 1/2 neck at atlas 16 1/2 eye to nose 7 1/4 neck b. ears 14 3/4 neck at atlas 17 1/2 eye to nose 7 1/8 neck b. ears 15 1/2 neck at atlas 15 3/4. I seem to have done something wrong because I can find these small sizes and these were not little deer, as a matter of fact the last measurement I typed above was a very large deer with a swollen neck(I have a picture). I really dont know how I could screw up a simple measurement (four different times?). I am sorry to ramble so much but I want to give enough info to get help, I can read a tape too. Please help. Thank for your time I know how valuable it is.
Thanks, Hank

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

measure the skin...

This response submitted by Joe T on 02/18/2004. ( ) 152.163.252.162

Measure the cape after tanning. You'll also get a better fitting form this way.

Thanks Joe

This response submitted by Hank on 02/18/2004. ( ) 205.188.209.7

Thanks, But what could I have been doing to get so far off, just curious to know because you know some people use the actual meat measurement? I think I will measure after the tan from now on, I just thought the other way I could order the forms while I sent the capes to the tannery and be ready when they got back. Just wondering. Thanks so much again. Hank

The hide

This response submitted by Mike on 02/18/2004. ( ) 66.2.148.124

was probably streched out lenthwise when you measured it.

I measured the neck meat

This response submitted by Hank on 02/18/2004 at 18:32. ( ) 64.12.116.202

?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu