ear remark

Submitted by derslayr on 02/15/2004. ( ) 139.55.132.212

I had a guy come in the shop today to check out my work. while he was in there I was splitting the ears on a cape , inwhich he proceeded to tell me that his taxidermists told him that was a waste of time . Now I would never even consider that this is a good way and told him that , he is gettting bad taxidermy done and it won't last. to be honest I have never even heard of anyone just spraying something on the outside of the ear to preserve it. I don't ever intend to do this but was just curiuos as to how old this method is early 1900's or what. he also told me this guys does good work and is cheap. I told him to leave my shop and call me when his ears rot off and I will remount it on a different cape. any ideas on this old school stuff, maybe you can help george lol.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

SOmeone who has never read a book.

This response submitted by John C on 02/15/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

The same haxidermist that says "I dont chase ribbons." Can see the forest for the trees. He knows everything, you did right. Dont try to explain to some of the people, just show the difference in quality.

I thought so

This response submitted by derslayr on 02/15/2004. ( ) 162.40.69.87

thanks john I don't know what he charged ,but I have only been at it for 3 yrs. and charge $350 which is more than anyone in my area by alot, and still got more deer than I wanted to. I guess next year it will go up to $450. have you ever heard of that method before? he did say my mounts were alot better than his but the price was too much ( that happens alot for me)

Not really, not even back then

This response submitted by George on 02/15/2004. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.252.161

You sound as if you're doing quite well, and I commend you on sticking to your principles. I've never HEARD of such BS even in my earlier years. We used tin and even lead and copper to make earliners back then. (Some guys actually saved the cardboard sheets in dress shirts and used them as liners, but I've never heard of using NONE.) I'm 58 and been doing taxidermy since I was 12. I don't know what HIS source of information is, but for me, would you mind telling him, he's full of crap.

already did that

This response submitted by derslayr on 02/16/2004. ( ) 162.40.69.88

that was about the first thing I told him lol. and I owe my prices and some of my principles to you and this site. when i first started I came on here for hours evry nite and learned alot about how to make it in taxidermy by charging what your worth, I still don't think I am getting paid enuff though, thanks

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu