Problem with ears

Submitted by Lee V. on 02/18/2004. ( ) 199.141.125.33

I used the bondo in the ears for the first time on my second mount everything turned out great except for one thing, they want harden up I`am sure I didn`t put enough hardner will they ever harden up are is there something else I can do at this point(fiberglass chop & resin was added) its been mounted for over a day now. any suggestions?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

start over

This response submitted by robert cain on 02/18/2004 at 14:13. ( wildlifecreations1@hotmail.com ) 12.222.153.100

I know that is not what you wanted to hear, but, I would cut the stiches to allow access to the ears and remove the liners (if used) clean the area up and redo the ears and finish sewing back up. The ears should have been hard in the first hour after you mounted them. It takes a little longer for the edges to dry so make sure you get all the air out and card the edges for the ears. Hope this helps. Bob

no

This response submitted by chuck on 02/18/2004 at 16:57. ( ) 63.78.132.165

your deers ears will never dry like they are supposed to because the bondo has to have the hardner to act as the catalyst to complete the chemical reaction so that it does harden, if you have some hardner in it it should harden but from what your saying there must not be any at all or it would have been dry within a day. remember that when using bondo if you use too much hardner that you will have to work faster, i use the bonded ear method on all my deer and i have had a lot of success with it, i use about 2tbl spoons of bondo too an inch line of hardner double this for both ears then mix in fiberglass shreds and about 3 tbl spoons of resin, stir together until mixed good and put in ears make sure you adjust your ears and keep the shape you want for the next 10-15 minutes depending how much hardner you put in it.then just when it is about dry peel back the ears off the ear butt and peel off the excess bondo off the butt. any questions holler.

Resin

This response submitted by Lee V. on 02/19/2004 at 07:53. ( ) 199.141.125.33

When you add the resin do you add catalyst hardner to the resin also. Because if you do, that may be a part of my problem I did`t add it. Either way it has been a good learning experience,I also learned that putting a larger rack than the one that came on the head is not that easy either when the base is about twice the size. but beleive it or not it looks OK I think for my first. Thanks for all of you and your advise.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu