freezer burn

Submitted by Bill on 02/20/2004 at 18:59. ( nandbosterman@chartermi.net ) 24.213.1.89

Just had two heads dropped off today skinned one out and it has bad freezer burn. It is the worse around the lips,eyes,around the horn bases and down to the nose from the horn bases. I managed to get the skin off the head it self but the skin is like a rock in a lot of the areas I described up above. I tried injecting water into the areas but the needle won't even go into the skin in most spots and where it does I can't get water into the skin.
The other head looks just as bad if not worse then the first one. are these hides shot or is there a way to make them soft and workable again. If there is a way to try and work out the hide should I call the guy up and give him some percentages of how his head might not come out. If so what are the chances of ruining the hide totally.
Always heard of freezer burned heads being a pain in the backside guess I'am about to find out how much of a pain.
I mostly like to tan with rhinehart tanning cream for my deer heads not sure if this will help with a soultion or not. Thanks to anyone that might be able to help me thruogh this one. Later
Bill

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Get some STOP ROT

This response submitted by John C on 02/20/2004 at 19:16. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Give it a try.

freezer burn

This response submitted by Aaron Honeycutt on 02/20/2004 at 19:31. ( mhoney@mindsprng.com ) 207.69.1.140

Bill, I've mounted a couple of deer that had been in freezers around 5 years. Each time I told the customer I would do what I could but made no guarantee. I made up a salt water bath (kinda thin like 1/2 pound salt to 1 gal) placed the most affected areas into the water(might have to lay a rag over the top of the water so all stays wet) and left the rest wrapped in a towel out of the water- everything sitting in my refrigerator. 2 or 3 days and then proceeded as usual. Mounts turned out very well. Enjoy, Aaron H.

Freezer burn

This response submitted by Bill Haynes on 02/20/2004 at 19:43. ( ) 216.130.152.51

Blast the cape with a pressure washer. This will force water back in the skin. You can also flesh and clean the cape at the same time.

try...

This response submitted by Ed on 02/21/2004 at 20:26. ( ) 64.12.116.201

Ultra Soft! Use a small needle and pack a lunch it'll take time but I know it can be done!

send to a commercial tannery

This response submitted by mike on 02/28/2004 at 02:53. ( ) 198.81.26.44

salt dry those hides and spend the thirty-two bucks to get them tanned. They will do a better job at rehydrating those capes and give you a better tan than you will be able to do.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu