Joe Meder Flehmen Nose?

Submitted by Mike on 02/21/2004 at 18:07. ( ) 66.2.148.185

I just mounted my first deer useing the Joe Meder change-out, flehmen nose. The nose fit the mannikin OK, but the Meder nose apreared too wide, like Carl Mulden. I'm not to crazy about the way it looks. The mount will take a couple weeks to dry before I can finish it, so I'll reserve final judgement until then. Anybody have any experiences with these change-out noses and your opinions?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

its an interpretive thing

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 02/21/2004 at 21:02. ( ) 209.130.221.48

The whole lip curl, flehmen posture is unusual in itself, so it doesnt always look "normal" as it is. I believe some guys are putting it on a smaller form than it was meant for, too. Give it a few more days, hopefully itll grow on ya!

Even many of the regular forms dont have wide enough noses.

This response submitted by John C on 02/21/2004 at 22:19. ( ) 66.233.157.155

After watching deer for most of my life, what I see is that many deer forms have noses that are to narrow. Not the whole muzzle the area from the rear of the nostrial to the front tip of the nose. Even the lips appear to lack flesh on many of the forms.

Thank You John

This response submitted by Tenbears on 02/23/2004 at 13:24. ( ) 64.12.116.201

I thought it was Just me. I have always thought the same exact thing. But short of sculpting your own forms, Or serious altering. There is not much one can do about it. As the majority of the forms are that way. I do add clay to widen them, but it seems like unnecessary work when you pay so much for forms that are suposed to be top notch.

nope

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 02/23/2004 at 21:59. ( ) 209.130.138.241

For every guy adding clay, theres one thats cutting back the form and still another that says its just right. They are top notched, just not exact for every area. Thats why theyre made of foam still! Happy altering!

Different Nose Sizes

This response submitted by Mike on 02/24/2004 at 12:31. ( ) 66.2.148.54

I have done deer from just about all over N. America. Deer noses do come in all shapes and sizes. The WT forms that I use seem to be sized about right for 95% of the deer I do. The buck I mounted had a 8" nose to eye, so I ordered the large Meder Nose. It fit the form nicely where it was cut off, but the nose is 1/2" wider from nostril to nostril than the original form. Even after streaching the nose pad as much as possible, it still didn't fit exactly right (nose skin too small). I didn't want to modify the changeout nose due to all the intricacies of the nasal interior provided. After looking at reference photos, the nose apears to be curled up a little too far as well.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu