stubborn hair

Submitted by Nokes on 02/24/2004 at 11:33. ( ) 12.148.45.165

On a couple of mounts I have done i have a problem in the neck and shoulder regions with large patches of hair sticking up. Almost like the hair is curled. The hide is stretched well and I have used cape setting gel from WASCO, but it is so bad that some will not lay down. It almost seems as if it was caused when it was rolled up and frozen, now it wants to stay that way. Has anyone seen this before and if so how did you remedy it? What are the possible causes? Is there a stronger gel or possibly hairspray?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Possible bacteria problem.

This response submitted by John C on 02/24/2004 at 11:39. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Its sounds like the cape was close to spoiling. Comb gel and card the cowlick.

This is one reason to loosly fold a cape instead of rolling them into a tight ball for freezing.

try this

This response submitted by Barry Folden on 03/08/2004 at 00:07. ( ) 142.165.245.192

Take an old t-shirt cut it in half length wise.You can pin it around the neck of the Deer.The t-shirt is stretchy,and when wrapped around the deers neck will hold the hair smooth until the skin drys,holding the hair in place.simply pin behind ears on one side,carefully pull around behind ear on opposite side and pin down.then work your way down neck.works awesome.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu