Floating in pickle/tan

Submitted by Daniel on 02/24/2004 at 11:50. ( Galileo460@aol.com ) 64.12.96.198

Is there anything that would "react" to the safetee acid pickle if it was put in the pickle with the cape? I ask this because I have a stubborn cape that will not submerge like I am used to. I am using a limestone rock to weigh it down. I did this once before and had no problems, so I guess I'm more or less curious if I just got lucky that time!

I tan and pickle in a Coleman cooler. There was an older post where someone uses a disk of plywood with holes in it and puts a rock on top for tanning/pickling in buckets. Might have to give that a shot next time.

Just curious what thoughts are out there regarding this. If limestone is OK, is there anything that is not compatible with either a safetee acid pickle or EZ-100 tan?

Thanks!

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

I always used...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 02/24/2004 at 12:12. ( ) 209.130.219.195

One of those ten pound weights from a weight lifting set. Anyone knows I dont use them for anything else! Heck, it already has the hole in the middle. The plastic coated ones is what I have.

Isn't lime a dehairer?

This response submitted by Griz on 02/24/2004 at 12:18. ( ) 69.66.85.4

Isn't lime used for dehairing? So will limestone effect the pickle? And if there is a crack in the plastic weights the concrete/ plaster mix inside might have lime in it too. So i always used milk jugs filled with water. But if Yox has used a weight, then you pretty well know it has beed tested and time approved.

Limestone will raise the pH it keeps working.

This response submitted by John C on 02/24/2004 at 12:19. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Calcium Carbonate is very alkaline, it can neutralize the whole pickle vat. Get a milk jug fill it with clay pea gravel and tape the cap on well, you will be far safer than limestone.

I would not

This response submitted by Old Man on 02/24/2004 at 12:23. ( ) 63.241.157.113

I use a plastic container filled with water. A old milk jug will do. The rock could have minerals that will disolve in the acid and posible damage the cape. That probable wont happen but better safe than sorry.

God Bless

I also use plywood and a plastic coated cement weight

This response submitted by Steve on 02/24/2004 at 12:25. ( ) 216.129.231.7

I'm glad someone mentioned that cement may not react very well with the solutions. I'll quit using the weights, because they do have cracks in the plastic. The plywood works well though. Just cut it a hair smaller than the top of your fluid level....

Oven racks

This response submitted by The Rookie on 02/24/2004 at 14:20. ( ) 205.188.209.9

I take oven racks,cut them to the size of my container,place on top of the cape, and then put the milk jugs on top. Seems to keep the full cape submerged a little better than milk jugs alone! Jeff F.

Vinyl lattice work

This response submitted by Alan Mason on 02/24/2004 at 15:52. ( ) 63.157.140.92

I was thinking about trying a piece of vinyl (plastic) lattice work cut to the shape of my tubs. I'd either have to weight it down with something or attach two wooden furring strips standing up along two opposing edges that I could clamp to the side of the tub with spring clamps. Wouldn't have any adverse affects on my pickle or tanning solutions and would be easy to clean.

No weight at all!

This response submitted by Bruce Anderson on 02/24/2004 at 18:02. ( bruce@adventuretaxidermy.com ) 216.97.184.196

I used a plastic drink container for a while, then discovered that a weight is not needed. I discovered that the weight pressed the capes together and hindered the coverage of pickle. It doesn't matter if they float. Just take the cape on top and turn the hair side up covering all the others......making sure that you move them everyday. I have been doing that for years!

Great help!

This response submitted by Daniel on 02/24/2004 at 21:19. ( ) 205.188.209.9

Great responses everyone. Sounds like a limestone rock is not too terrible...not too good either, but certainly there are better options. I'm going to try some of those suggestions. They all sound like they work well.

I did notice the pH rise a bit.

Looks like I have a rock to remove...

Thanks again,
God Bless!

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu