Mini fleshers any good?

Submitted by dale on 02/25/2004 at 00:00. ( dwcw@ritzcom.net ) 66.62.72.136

I send my capes to a commercial tannery. I send some elk & deer capes and hides as well as an occassional cow hide. Is a mini flesher any good for getting the slick skin off of a hide, and thinning thick areas or is it too small to be worth spending the money on one? Thanks.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

What's your definition of "good"

This response submitted by George on 02/25/2004 at 09:18. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.7

Owned one for years, sold it for peanuts. I'm supposing a heavy wire wheel on a grinder "will" get rid of that membrane, but it's certainly not my choice.

lol george

This response submitted by Ray on 02/25/2004 at 19:13. ( hunterray2002@yahoo.com ) 4.23.224.30

George , now how did i know that was comming. lol. lol, no matter what our differences . your still the man.

I use one

This response submitted by Tony H on 02/25/2004 at 20:02. ( ) 64.108.158.14

I use one exclusively and have mounted 37 deer (and counting) since Oct. with it. I will not go through another year without a nice table flesher. Not because the min-flesher doesn't do a good job - IT CAN - but because I need to move along quicker and I have to wait for my air compressor to catch up too often.

I will, however, keep the mini-flesher for my rough fleshing needs. It's great for getting hunks of meat and membrane off the cape prior to salting. I can do a deer cape in about 10-15 minutes and get it pretty well clean. I can then shave a salted cape ready for tanning in about 40 minutes, but honestly, it takes longer because of the compressor (and I have a 30-gallon, 5-horse unit). I'm certain I could also get it thinner with a table-top flesher after pickling. But it's worked well enough for me now. I plan on upgrading but for hobbyists/part-timers it's great to start with.

I agree...somewhat

This response submitted by Travis on 02/25/2004 at 22:31. ( ) 68.102.253.173

For just starting out they are a great tool...and for small mammals they are excellent..they`ll work on deer but you`ll go through blades pretty quick...on bobcats I change the blade about every 100 cats...duller the better for thin skinned critter...

Travis, I'm impressed. Honestly

This response submitted by George on 02/25/2004 at 23:12. ( ) 64.12.113.189

I tried it on small animals and I NEVER learned to do it without tearin holes in the hides or winding them around the spindle of that tool. You have to be pretty good at it to pull that off in my opinion.

I HAVE ONE IN MY SHOP SOMEWHERE

This response submitted by Billy Brock on 02/26/2004 at 00:55. ( ) 65.141.205.54

Don't ever use it. I can flesh A deer cape in 15 minutes with A preassure washer,thin the lips,eyes,nose,and the seam on my y cut with a wire wheel

I like em

This response submitted by Steve A. on 02/26/2004 at 17:51. ( ) 216.129.231.7

I've used one for years on dear mounts. It works just fine, but they are a little slow, so I just bought a full sized fleshing machine. I still plan to use it for face fleshing. You can cut holes with one if you aren't careful. If you adjust the guard a little closer to your blade you can shave even the arm pit areas without going to deep. Be careful around bigger chunks of membrane because they will suck into the flesher and you'll cut a hole. I don't know why they cost around $200. You can get a similiar air powered tool from Harbor Freight for around $30. If you don't do a lot of mounts they are a good investment to get started with. You might want to look at some of the detail fleshers available. I think I'd go with the Quebec Lite if I had it to do over again. It has a full sized blade and is reasonably priced. These are my opinions, and I'm far from an expert on the subject.

too much air pressure george

This response submitted by Travis on 02/27/2004 at 19:57. ( ) 68.102.253.173

Too much air pressure causes the membrane to wrap around the spindle...I turn it down to about 30 to 35 psi...on average I can shave a cat in 30 minutes, yote in 45, and did a cougar the other day in 1 hour...

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu