Model paints for taxi

Submitted by Tommy Crow on 02/26/2004 at 15:20. ( ) 64.218.41.230

I've seen a few postings about various types of paints, from craft paints to whatever kind of paints are used in airbrushes (no experience with air brushes), but, as a hobbyist, I have found model paints (like you find in the model car section at Wal-Mart) work great for facial work on deer heads. They're cheap, about 86¢ per bottle, dry quickly, go on evenly and have that wet look you look for on the nose pad and nostrels. I just discovered this after using oil paints for years and being unhappy with the results, so I wanted to share this. This is a great site. Many thanks to you professional guys and gals out there who are willing to give us novices tips about your craft.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Tommy, that's really not cheap at all

This response submitted by George on 02/26/2004 at 16:34. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.5

That's $.86 for ONE OUNCE of paint. And it's enamel paint which isn't the best medium to work with, but if it works for you, go for it.

Tell me about Krylon

This response submitted by Tommy Crow on 02/26/2004 at 18:11. ( ) 64.218.41.230

Is it a brush application paint or airbrush. The only Krylon i've use is in a spraycan, which is very useful. I'm not ready to invest in an airbrush to do one or two deer heads a year.

What's wrong with enamel paint?

Thanks for the feedback

Oops

This response submitted by Tommy Crow on 02/26/2004 at 18:13. ( ) 64.218.41.230

Sorry, I meant the spraycan IS NOT very useful

Tommy, ever got enamel on your skin?

This response submitted by George on 02/26/2004 at 22:33. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.5

If you let it dry, it peels off (not real easily, but it peels off). The acrylics WILL peel off as well and as a result are not the best bet for painting deer either IMHO. Conversely, oil paints and lacquer work really well. The oil paint absorbs into the skin more easily as it's compatible with flesh. Lacquer is closer to a dye when it contacts the skin and it imbeds quickly into skin pores. The BEST deer that win competitions are usually done either with oils or with lacquer.

Thanks, George

This response submitted by Tommy Crow on 02/27/2004 at 12:43. ( tommy.crow@seguingazette.com ) 64.218.41.230

I rebuild all my noses with clay, which probably explains the success I've had with the acrylic model paint. I'll steer clear of using it on skin, now though. Thanks.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu