Pedical Cover - Shed buck

Submitted by Mike on 02/27/2004 at 11:02. ( mgccut@msn.com ) 205.186.83.198

Looking for a technique for covering the pedicals of a buck which has just shed its antlers. I do not have any reference on this. I have seen many bucks within 1 or 2 days of shedding, but they were all too far away for detailed inspection. I know they bleed when they shed and there must be some type of scab that forms. That is what I would like to recreate. I did search the archives, but found nothing.

Thanks for any Ideas.

Bill Yox - once again I ask for your input. (where do I pay my tuition?hehe)

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

scab

This response submitted by mike d on 02/27/2004 at 11:43. ( the_taxidermistatyahoo.com ) 68.186.23.18

What I have done in the past to simulate blood ooze on velvet antlers
is to mix gill red hydromist with clear latex caulk and stiple it heavily on the exposed area.
Once this is dry you can tint the area to the overall "scab" color that you need with an airbrush and dark brown paint; even a very small amount of black to bring the color down even more.
Let some of the darkened red show; try for several shades of air dried blood.
If you don't want it as bright, you might start with mars red.

i think he means....

This response submitted by Joe T on 03/01/2004 at 23:14. ( Joseph_Turc@yahoo.com ) 205.188.209.5

he is trying to figure out what to make the pedicals look like after one or both antlers are shed.

I've also been trying to find reference on this for a while and all I could find was a cover shot in Deer and Deer Hunting Mag. or Bowhunting I forget.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu