Slight Confusion

Submitted by Daniel on 02/27/2004 at 20:15. ( Galileo460@aol.com ) 205.188.209.104

Two things:

I am planning on buying Apoxie Sculpt for the finishing work on the deer nostrils but am having a hard time deciding the color to go with. The descriptions I have found say that it "accepts paint" but will it also accept paint AS I mix it for color alterations? If this is the case, wouldn't it make sense to buy a light colored Apoxie Sculpt so I can then make whichever color I wish buy mixing in appropriate amounts of paint? Also, what color is "natural"? I've seen it described as grey and as cream. I've searched the archives but am still having a hard time with this one.

Thanks!

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Here's what I started doing this year

This response submitted by Matt on 02/27/2004 at 21:26. ( ) 171.75.118.178

I use the natural color apoxie for normal blemish fixes. But this year I bought some pink apoxie sculpt and use it to finish the inside of the nose. That way it's done, no paint required. Then when finishing the nose pad, simply blend your paint to the edge of the pink. Works out really nice and clean. Good luck.

Pink works great

This response submitted by Steve Collins on 02/28/2004 at 00:04. ( bondzo@hotmail.com ) 68.45.197.154

I just used pink on my first nose for a doe i did for a customer it worked out great. I was painting them with flesh color but it always seemed to bright and not realistic looking but the pink apoxie is perfect.

use the natural

This response submitted by mike on 02/28/2004 at 02:10. ( ) 198.81.26.43

the pink will work if you have the right amount of skin tucked in the nose, but if not, or you have to repair closer to the outside edge of the nose, the natural is the way to go then blend your paint. Very easy and it doesen't take a lot of time once you get it down.

Thanks

This response submitted by Daniel on 02/28/2004 at 09:38. ( ) 152.163.252.135

I will have to be repairing nearer to the edge of the nose, so I will get natural.

Thanks!

Daniel, you can try this also....

This response submitted by tonytiger on 03/01/2004 at 10:45. ( tholder85@yahoo.com ) 216.229.205.222

use the cream color and mix some red flock material in when you are mixing the apoxie. This will produce a great, natural looking nostril that will not require any paint. I learned this from Ben Mears several years ago.

tonytiger

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu