Neck Measurments-before or after

Submitted by James Patrick on 9/1/04 at 1:15 AM. ( ) 204.149.80.4

Which is the best way to measure the neck? Before it is skinned or after? I know a person who subtracts an inch if he measures with the skin on and adds an inch if he measures the neck with the skin off. Is he right or wrong?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

After !

This response submitted by Rick T on 9/1/04 at 2:06 AM. ( rickt@joink.com ) 63.134.129.230

Take your neck measurements after you have skinned, You will save yourseld alot of trouble trying to get the cape to fit your form using this method. Once the cape is tanned stretch the neck back to the measurements you originally took, I usually stretch them just a tad bigger to allow it to easily slide onto the form.

definitely after !

This response submitted by Jon S on 9/1/04 at 7:44 AM. ( ) 208.23.177.70

You would be suprised how much that 1/8 inch or so of skin thickness adds to the circumference.

way after

This response submitted by gary on 9/1/04 at 11:38 AM. ( kozakga@cs.com ) 206.114.49.3

skip measuring the deer all together. the best measurement you can get is after the cape has been tanned and re-hydrated. after you get it back from the tannery soak it up, measure it then order your form, put the hide in the freezer until you are ready to mount it.
half the time you wont have customers bring you the entire neck anyhow so this is a good practice to get into.

defineatly after

This response submitted by John W. on 9/1/04 at 12:51 PM. ( ) 207.179.231.5

I once had a buck come in that measured 19 inches over the hair,I measured over the hair just to give me a rough estimate of the form I would need.Well after skinning the deer head I took the meat measurement and guess what,?the neck actually measured 14 and a half inches.This deer looked like a typical 18 inch deer,but what it was the hair was very long giving me an average measurement,but the actual meat measurement was much smaller than normal,so this was alesson learned to always take the correct "meat" measurement every time and you won't go wrong.

Ditto

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 9/1/04 at 3:25 PM. ( NaturesTrophies,aol ) 205.188.116.134

I use Garys method except I rehydrate, place in bag overnight(sweat), stretch, measure, and get it back in the freezer. My northern deer are usualy about 2" smaller than hair on measurement. And don't under estimate a good tan. You'd be surprised what kind of stretch you'll get sometimes. Good Luck! Jeff f.

agree with jeff

This response submitted by *** on 9/1/04 at 5:56 PM. ( ) 65.114.92.148

i always take my measurements from the tanned cape....after all....that is what you are going to be mounting, right? the tan can have a lot of effect on how much stretch you get. i know a lot of people do it, but it just doesnt make sense to me to measure the carcass. the skin goes through so much between the time it leaves the body to the time it comes out of the tan.

i measure the tanned cape.....no matter what the tan is...you get what you get and thats what you have to work with.

measuring

This response submitted by Drew on 9/3/04 at 12:24 AM. ( ) 140.226.180.214

I measure the eye to nose length and document it. As far as the neck goes, I measure it after skinning just to get me in the ball park. Then I do the actual measurements after rehydrating like stated above.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu