Mule deer re-mount

Submitted by brian on 9/16/04 at 11:38 AM. ( ) 199.141.125.33

Hi everyone, first post here. Was pointed in your direction from a bowhunting site. I recently went to an estate auction and ran across a really old mule deer shouldner mount. It went for dirt cheap, so I bought it being the deer nut I am. It appears to be really old, cape looks like crap, and didn't appear to be done very good in the fist place.

I purchased it thinking I'd get a differnt cape and try to have it pedestal mounted again. The antlers still look excellent. Question, I have friends going out west for mule deer, that most likely would be able to get a cape for me. But was also told that the measurements may not match up with it and the antlers I got. Any help you can give me on measuring for capes, or recommendations on what I should do would be appreciated. I see measurements on the for sale portions of capes, and it's all greek to me. Can you help me out?

Also can you ball park a remounted mule deer pedestal mount? Have no clue what ballpark cost would be, believe my last shoulder mount was about $350. Also it took me 3 years to get a whitetail shoulder mount back from my last taxidermist so am looking elsewhere for this one. Any recommendations for either the Kansas City area, where I live, or the Southeast part of Nebraska where I am from originally and frequently head back would be doubly appreciated. Thanks for your time and sorry for the long post.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Brian

This response submitted by Greg F on 9/16/04 at 12:08 PM. ( ) 65.174.66.2

It should be no problem for any good taxi to remount the antlers with a new cape. In my experience, the measurements do not have to match up. A cape from any good buck should be able to be made to fit around the antlers/skull. If I were doing it I'd charge the same for this job as any shoulder mount.

Brian

This response submitted by tomdes on 9/16/04 at 12:54 PM. ( mapletax@twcny.rr.com ) 148.183.241.23

It's true any taxidermist can probably do this job. What I would look for from a taxidermist standpoint would be a cape that came close to the burr circumference, and the distance between the burr's. If the cape doesn't have distance between the antlers, it will never fit. Like Greg above I would charge my going rate, plus the price of the replacement cape.

Good luck,
Tom

let me add

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 9/16/04 at 2:58 PM. ( ) 66.133.134.90

If your hunting buddy can get a similar sized animal, the measurements all fall in place, so to speak. Just make sure its a sized animal youd want it to representing, and that the antlers seem to look right with. A good taxidermist will adjust those little details you might worry about around the antlers and between them. Pedestal mounts are going to run a bit more than the standard wall shoulder mount. Around a year or so seems to be most acceptable for return times, but more importantly, a good studio might be fast or slow, but they need to be accurate to what they quote for time. That one has gotten me and many others in trouble in the past! As a ballpark, maybe around $700-$1500 depending on the area, quality, design and style of the pedestal. If you left your email, Im sure someone in your area wouldve contacted you.

Thanks for the help, added email

This response submitted by brian on 9/16/04 at 4:35 PM. ( bmarschman@gbronline.com ) 199.141.125.33

I appreciate the help, looks like I'll try and get a mule deer cape this fall then. As Bill mentioned I added my email so if anyone in the area is interested I'd definitely like to speak with them.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu