velvet antlers

Submitted by scott on 9/1/04 at 6:45 PM. ( ) 69.11.45.56

im going on a mule deer hunt next week and i would like to know the best way to preserve the velvet. do i just inject with formeldehyde
if so where do i start at the top and work my way down or the bottom and work my way up? how much do i have to use to preserve the velvet?

thanks in advance for your help

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Scott

This response submitted by Ron on 9/1/04 at 10:50 PM. ( ) 205.231.189.213

I've had excelent results by brushing on a good coat of Rittle's preserves-it. It is similar to formeldehyde but less toxic. You can order it from several different suppliers.

no time

This response submitted by scott on 9/1/04 at 11:34 PM. ( ) 69.11.45.56

i dont really have time to order anything from a supplier as i leave for this hunt on sunday but i do have a small amount of formaldehyde
and just wondering how to use it

formaldehyde

This response submitted by Aaron Honeycutt on 9/2/04 at 9:10 PM. ( mhoney"AT"mindspring"DOT"com ) 207.69.5.193

Scott, You say you are "just wondering how to use it." First be aware that this is a hazardous product, it will "soak" into your skin if you contact it and it can ruin your eyes if it get in them. Rubber gloves, goggles and apron every time you use it. A "small amount" is probably not enough to save even a little velvet rack. You don't say what type of hunting -camping? access to a freezer? You could pack the rack in lots of salt to hold it till you get home or drop it off at a taxidermist near your hunt. As for how to inject antlers, you can find it in the "search" to the left. Good luck with the hunt and enjoy, Aaron H.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu