new flesher

Submitted by Steve on 9/2/04 at 7:58 PM. ( ) 68.54.249.85

Just received my dakota V flesher and noticed the blade guards are black plastic. Is this normal? Doesnt look anything like the picture.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

dakota

This response submitted by Mr. T on 9/2/04 at 9:27 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.128

My Dakota is 1 year old, and my guards are brass, poorly made at that, they wont match the wheel or flush up to the sides. Maybe you got the upgrade model.

Almost went that route

This response submitted by Jeff "458okie" W. on 9/3/04 at 1:24 PM. ( ) 204.87.68.252

...then I did my research, wised up, and ordered an Eager Beaver from Bruce Rittel! Bruce is obviously a pillar in the industry, as is Gerard Tessier in Canada. Both make fine machines from all the testimonials I have heard and research done. I think Mr. Roof is satisfied with his Rawhide flesher.

Regarding the Dakota (which I was actually tempted to buy), I'd be cautious. I've noticed complaints similar to yours about the Dakota machines on this sight and elsewhere, and notice they are often for sale even after very limited use, which should indicate something. Many immediately wished they had spent more for quality or a machine to serve them a lifetime.

From all my research...I'd go with the Eager Beaver, Rawhide or Quebec, in that order. Although, quite frankly, the jury is still partially out until I try mine firsthand when it gets in. The Dakota's do get some praise on this site, and my experience with Van Dykes as a company has been nothing but positive. But PLEASE do yourself a favor and when it comes to machinery or other significant investments, call around, email and hit the search button often.

I encourage you to check the archives like I did. Also, email Bruce Rittel and others who promote their machines. Waasco sells the Quebec in their catalog. I like the table that coems with the Quebec, but chose the free standing Eager Beaver instead.

-Jeff

i jhave a dakota

This response submitted by terryr on 9/4/04 at 2:12 AM. ( ) 12.34.180.159

that i ordered last year and it still has brass guards - the guards dont line up worth a crap but it does a good job fleshing

I don't get it?!

This response submitted by John W. on 9/13/04 at 10:21 AM. ( ) 12.215.63.29

I have the dakota v with the brass guards and don't have any problem adjusting them.I have the quebec lite video-an excellent video showing the proper way to flesh and keep your blades sharp-but you know I can critisize this machine too,it doesn't have a 1/2 horsepower motor like the dakota,it uses wood screws to secure it to your table,the dakota uses nuts and bolts,mydakota seems to be just as quiet as the quebec,you guys get the point?!We can bitch about anything,did any of you jokers call Van Dykes to give them a chance to correct the problem?Chances are you didn't.I'll give you a tidbit of info,use the phone their very fine folks to deal with and they stand behind their products.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu