Hide Paste Problems

Submitted by Aaron on 9/20/04 at 7:31 AM. ( ) 216.24.11.90

Been using Epo-Grip hide paste on my wet tanned deer for quite some time without any problems. However, the last deer I mounted the hide paste set up, adhered to the form and did not attach to the skin at all. Any suggestions or explanations would be greatly appreciated.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Wash skin

This response submitted by mike on 9/20/04 at 9:39 AM. ( ) 205.188.117.8

It might be that the skin was oily. I wash all my deer capes to make sure I get a good adhesion to the form. It also could be that the Epo-Grip set up to fast. I know the wet tans from Golden State are some times oily feeling, so I wash them out.

Switch Pastes

This response submitted by Mike on 9/20/04 at 12:58 PM. ( ) 66.2.148.45

Switch to Buckeye Supreme and you won't have any more problems with hide paste. That stuff always sticks, goes on easy and cleans up easy.

Thats BULL S**T, Mike

This response submitted by George on 9/20/04 at 1:32 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.101.8

I understand partiality and personal preference, but your remark is just pure, 100% BS. NO HIDE PASTE will adhere to a hide that is saturated with oil. That oil has to be removed or it forms it's own insulation barrier that NO ADHESIVE will adhere to. If he's using a borax based preservative or DP, I got news about your Buckeye Supreme as well.

Hide paste

This response submitted by Mark on 9/21/04 at 10:33 PM. ( mtmmvruno@lakeland.ws ) 64.33.152.6

George is right on this one if a hide is oily such as not being tumbled with sawdust any hide paste will not adhere the skin to the mannikin.All hides must be tumbled or washed before being adhered to the mannikin. Buckeye supreme will not work in conjuction to any boraxed based preservatives. Buckeye makes a seperate paste for preservative applications. Good luck,Mark

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu