Antler Traps

Submitted by Eagle eye on 2/7/05 at 6:35 PM. ( ) 67.176.192.99

What is an antler trap? I feed about 10-15 deer a day in a traft make of plywood. How could I make an antler trap for my feeder? Any responses would be appreciated! Thanks

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Easy

This response submitted by HOSS on 2/7/05 at 6:53 PM. ( ) 12.153.20.66

Build a "V" shaped fence using chicken wire about 4 ft high and each wing of the "V" being about 8 feet in length. Put feed in the very end of the narrow point of the "V". When bucks with loosening antlers feed their antlers will catch in the chicken wire. If they are loose enough to drop they will hang in the chicken wire and you just show up mid-day to collect them. At first I worried about bucks with tight antlers getting caught in the wire but I never had a problem. It seems that they just pull them out without much effort as my fencing was not damaged very much nor did I see signs of any struggles to get loose.

I have heard of this

This response submitted by Jack F on 2/8/05 at 6:44 AM. ( ) 24.97.78.149

I had a friend explain this to me just a few weeks ago. He knew a guy who would do this what Hoss described over a well used deer trail. He would then let his dogs out to run deer. When he heard them at bay he would walk on the hill and shoot his buck. This to me is pretty low on my list of things I would like to see done. In fact if I did see it I would have a huge problem keeping my hands off this guy. Jack F

Not my intention

This response submitted by HOSS on 2/8/05 at 3:36 PM. ( ) 12.153.20.66

I buil these ONLY for catching antlers that are about to be dropped. This is NOT a trap to catch or hold any deer. The idea is that the buck will go to the feed in the corner of the "v" and his antlers will catch in the chicken wire. If the antlers are ready to drop they will pull off in the wire thus "trapping" the shed antler for me to collect later. No harm to the deer at all.

5 Gallon buckets

This response submitted by Todd on 2/8/05 at 8:03 PM. ( ) 64.136.27.227

We've used 5 gallon buckets. Just start putting your feed in the buckets instead of the troft. Make sure to nail them to something. We nailed ours to a tree.

Hoss

This response submitted by Jack F on 2/9/05 at 5:43 AM. ( ) 24.97.78.149

I misunderstood what was going on there sorry. Jack F

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu