mod podge

Submitted by chuck on 4/2/05 at 8:07 AM. ( ) 216.198.126.194

Is there any draw backs too using this on the nosepad of a finished deer mount?(you know to get the shine)

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Most all videos

This response submitted by Mr. T on 4/2/05 at 8:49 AM. ( ) 64.31.6.110

Most all videos teach to use it on all deer noses; it is almost the industries standard to use it. The only draw back is if you make a mess putting it on.

The only way to do a deer nose

This response submitted by Craig on 4/2/05 at 3:56 PM. ( ) 66.66.226.122

With a clear coat of Liquid Crystal to finish it up.

I love "the only ways"

This response submitted by George on 4/2/05 at 5:14 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.138

In half a century a lot of those guys have died thinking that same thought. If you've ever seen Ben Mears do a deer nose with a thin layer of clay and his small flat-tipped screwdriver, you might change your mind as the "only way". This industry has MADE whitetail noses "standard", but anyone who's ever actually seen a whitetail knows they don't ALL look that way.

Not re-inventing the wheel

This response submitted by Craig on 4/2/05 at 10:03 PM. ( ctracker@rochester.rr.com ) 66.66.226.122

The clay goes under the nose skin against the form so added detail can be modeled in while it is drying, not on top as the mod podge does after it is dry. I found a method of padding the nose that gives me the results I am looking for, which includes a number different steps, any one of which, when ommitted, takes away from the final look. I do like the Liquid Crystal over the padding though. Am I looking for industry standard? Not every taxidermist puts the time into a nose that the good taxidermists do, some still just paint 'em black. Is that industry standard? I don't need to re-invent the wheel in this case, it has already been done for me by many world renowned taxidermists.

The original question dealt with getting a shiny nose, that's one of the focus points my customers always seemed to first comment on so I must be doing something right, at least in their eyes.

Personally, I've seen deer that had noses with an almost satin wet look to them, some that are gray and not at all black, some that are more flesh colored, some that are as black as coal, some that aren't even shiny. With all those posibilities, and I'm sure there are a few more, I feel the industry has to come up with some "standard". But you are correct George, not EVERY DEER NOSE looks the same.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu