setting guides on fleshers

Submitted by todd on 4/2/05 at 5:08 PM. ( angemckinney@bellsouth.net ) 209.214.178.20

just upgraded to big flesher. Need advice on setting the guides.What works best for you?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Contact Rittel

This response submitted by Jeff 458 okie on 4/2/05 at 5:52 PM. ( wickstromtaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 64.12.116.133

Contact Bruce Rittel.

He has some guidelines on setting guards that helped me, but messing around on practice hides is what really helped me fine tune the adjustment and "feel" of the flesher.

I bought my Eager Beaver through Bruce and absolutely love it. It is serving me well.

-Jeff W.

settings

This response submitted by mrdux on 4/2/05 at 9:29 PM. ( mrdux@refugemail.com ) 68.217.144.139

I have a Dakota V flesher that had the brass guards. I was having nothing but problems with it and had almost gone to my mini-flesher exclusively. I looked at the Dakota as something I either had to learn to use or I would never be happy with my capes. I ordered the guard up-grade kit from Van Dykes and have been amazed at the difference in my fleshing and the quality of my capes.

I started out by setting the guards very close to the wheel with the lead guard no more than 1/8th of an inch back and the trailing even with the blade. I have probably moved to less than 1/8" on my left guard now. It is allowing me to shave the capes very thin like they need to be with almost no cuts or holes. I even got the courage to flesh a bobcat and coyote and did not cut either! I would have never even tried with the brass guards.I start each cape at the thickest part of the hide to make sure I am happy with the results before I start forward. I am now fleshing lips and nearly all the face with the big Dakota.

1/8 of an inch

This response submitted by John W. on 4/2/05 at 10:36 PM. ( ) 12.214.100.89

I have the brass guards on my Dakota and have never had problems in setting it up,but I do mine the same 1/8 of an inch-it works for me.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu