deer manes

Submitted by new at this on 4/4/05 at 2:19 PM. ( ) 71.98.8.226

I have mounted 2 deer shoulder mounts. They both look pretty good, but somehow I always seem to give them a slight mane. Why is this happening? I am using the propper sized form, the right kind of stitch. Also, now that these deer have slight manes, is there a way to get rid of them, such as using a hair jel to flaten the hairs that want to stick up?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

manes

This response submitted by doug on 4/4/05 at 3:11 PM. ( ) 69.220.154.51

when you pull your stitch tight you pull the edges of skin up. after sewing i go over the seam with a hammer, just tapping the seam to make it lay down. then card with strips of cardboard and let dry. works great and no more mane. hope this helps you. doug

go with

This response submitted by mimes on 4/4/05 at 4:11 PM. ( ) 64.233.135.38

Go with a short y incicsion or tubed cape instead of cutting all the way down the back of the neck.....no reason to do that anyways. There will be no stitches there for that "mane" to occur.

Thanks

This response submitted by new at this on 4/5/05 at 11:05 PM. ( ) 71.98.8.226

you all

Did You Know?

This response submitted by Trapper on 4/5/05 at 11:19 PM. ( ) 69.14.195.217

Did you know that way back in time that deer had a true mane? Some times I get a deer in from our Upper Pen, in Mich. and it has whats calles a "rudermentery mane" (spelling?) on it. The hair on the back/neck area is black and alot longer than is normal. Whenever I see this, I make it a point to show the client so that he doesnt think that its something that I did!

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu