Antler Bases

Submitted by Jaystoke on 3/1/05 at 9:09 AM. ( ) 216.165.167.61

My cape does not fit around the antler bases. It is short by 1/2". What do I do? Last night I completely took the cape back off of the manikan. tonight I'm going to try to stretch the cape at that point. Any thoughts or pointers? The cape is not from the original horns.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

You'll need to relief cut them

This response submitted by George on 3/1/05 at 10:29 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.132

This is in the archives, but since you may have trouble finding it, I'll repeat the technique I use. Set you antlers on the form and pull the hide up to the pedicels. Make SURE you have your hair and anatomy markers aligned properly. Superglue the front edge of your hide up under the pedicels and then on the inside edge of the flap, cut away a small triangle of scalp. If you cut along the outside, you'll remove long guard hairs that cover the pedicel so try to stick to the inside area as much as possible. Repeat on the other side and then sew it up.

Open It Up......

This response submitted by Old Fart on 3/1/05 at 10:30 AM. ( ) 66.119.33.187

.....So that it does fit. Take a 1/16" off the cape all around the antler base opening, try it. It you need to take off more, do it until it fits. Or you can grind a groove in the pedicel just under the burr, but that is more work!

Dremmel

This response submitted by Powder Jockey on 3/1/05 at 9:33 PM. ( ) 64.136.27.226

Take a dremmel tool and route out a groove in the backside of the pedicals until you can bring the hide together. Ive done this and the hide will pull into the groove on the backside and lock it tight when sewed. Wont mess up the hair patterns either.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu