whitetail ears

Submitted by Charlie on 3/3/05 at 2:03 AM. ( maruben@ptd.net ) 167.155.190.195

what does anyone consider the best method to do whitetail ears I have been using the bondo method but would like to try something different I have seen some ears done with plastic liners but they all seem to drum after drying.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Earliners

This response submitted by Jack F on 3/3/05 at 6:06 AM. ( ) 24.97.78.149

I would use nothing else on deer ears. I use adhesive caulk to hold them in place. After the tanning is done I remove the cartelage and clean the skin real well with accitone. I then ruff the heck out of both sides of the ear liners with a stout ruffer, where I can reach. In the inner ear section I use a small ruffer file. Make sure you ruff the entire ear liner. I use the cartelage of the ear for referance to cut the liner to shape size I need. I have had very few times that I have had a ear drum doing this method. And when I did it was my fault. It was either to tight a fit or I didn't get enough of the oil off the ear skin when cleaning. Hope this helps

eag magic from Epo-Grip

This response submitted by paul e on 3/3/05 at 7:39 AM. ( americanmetalfab@bellsouth.net ) 66.157.43.205

done plenty with bondo and if you prepare the ear right it will
in most cases be ok but a few if tou do enough will drum somewhere down the road

ear liners are fine but you must get good at putting correct size on

i started using ear magic this year and let me say this
there is a learning curve with anything
but after doing a few i could not believe how thin i could get
it threw me a little at first because the ear will be flexable
for a couple of days so you need to card it
but wow on those damaged ears i found i didnt need to sew
i hat to sew if i can do without doing it
and i also found i had no hair slippage like i sometime get
because of the excess heat with bondo
ear magic has heat but it stops after a reaction very quick
keep reference ear liners handy to match what you want your ear to
look like
i will never go back to bondo or liners

durable

This response submitted by Mike on 3/3/05 at 9:23 AM. ( ) 66.103.229.42

I make my ears as durable as possible. I've seen too many broken ears with Bondo. I use heavy plastic ear liners (McKinzie Natural Liners) and leave the cartilage in. I use a wire brush to rough up the cartilage side to the point where it is real tattered and ragged looking. Then I clean it thouroughly with thinner by spraying it on and rubbing it off vigerously with a towel. My liners are fit very precisly right out to th edges. I then use a quick set epoxy and butter it on the inside of the ear with a toung depresser, turn it rightside out and then insert the liner and press into place. Never had one break or drum yet. The ear may be a little think, but these are commercial mounts and I'd rather have a durable mount with thick ears rather than one that bends and breaks. I've never had a complaint about one of my ears from a customer yet.

Natralook Earliners also but

This response submitted by scott on 3/4/05 at 11:38 PM. ( sschuh@flinthills.com ) 64.39.203.119

I remove the cartilage which only takes a few minutes.I have never had an ear drum or move from the position I placed it by using Epo-Grip 2 part epoxy.I have found nothing better.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu