What causes this?

Submitted by Wolfe on 3/6/05 at 8:32 AM. ( s.savannafiredept@mchsi.com ) 12.217.0.240

I've been mounting deer and other game for about a year now. I started using a tannery this winter, instead of doing my own, and I am very happy with the their service.

I have one question though......about 1 in 3 capes has a "nick" or two that have to be repaired and I would like to know what causes them. I am guessing that it is just "one of those things" that happens in the tanning process....probably during shaving...but I'm not sure. These blemishes always seem to be in the neck area just behind and below the ears.

Most of these spots have only been about an inch long and were an easy fix. I mounted a deer last night that had one of these blemishes that was about 4 inches long.

Here is a picture of what I am talking about........

http://www.hunt101.com/img/261128.JPG

I'm gonna' call the tannery tomorrow to get some info.....but thought I would try to get an answer here today.

Scott

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

unhealed scar

This response submitted by TR on 3/6/05 at 8:45 AM. ( ) 64.12.116.132

Scott that appears to be a unhealed scar from fighting during the rut from another deers antler tines. If it were a shaving cut it wouldn't be jagged and the hairs would be cut above the mark. TR

Hey........thanks

This response submitted by Wolfe on 3/6/05 at 8:51 AM. ( ) 12.217.0.240

That makes sense.....especially with the location......

Wolfe

This response submitted by Steve D on 3/6/05 at 8:53 AM. ( aaa_taxidermy@yahoo.com ) 70.16.68.92

Looks like a scar to me. As the dear are rubbing they could get cut on a stick or what ever, and from fighting that's why they are in the neck and ear area, Tanneries tan, tumble, and work on so many hides at a time just the rubbing of other hides will remove the scab and leave bare skin, Just one thought, im sure there are probaly other reasons though.

Scab..........

This response submitted by Wolfe on 3/6/05 at 9:04 AM. ( ) 12.217.0.240

I was just thinking that. The scab is probably dark and blends in with the hair.....and like you said, the scab rubs off during tanning.

Thanks! Mystery solved

You will get capes...

This response submitted by Craig on 3/6/05 at 8:11 PM. ( ) 66.66.226.122

that actually have strips of hair and scab just hanging off sometimes. This is definitely a scab that rubbed off during the process. On the real bad scars you can actually cut these out and sew them back up to eliminate the skip in the hair patterns.

If your a commercial Taxidermist

This response submitted by Hedhuntr on 3/6/05 at 9:58 PM. ( ) 67.84.145.169

let your customers know. I had a customer try to tell me that either I caused this or it was the tannery's fault! So to be on e safe side I snapped a picture of it with my digital camera before caping. It was a summer coated buck and no matter how much fixing I did you still could make out a slight line in the hair. So while he was yapping away saying I caused this I cut in and told him now he owes me an additional $10 dollars more for the extra work! He looked at me like I was nuts and said what for and that is when I showed him the deer pic just before I skinned it out. He said he was sorry and I said its understandable (it was a 160 class whitetail) and explained it is actually common on older dominant bucks and tanning can exagerate the wound. This is the sole reason why I added a area on my invoice that says the condition of the specimen when I receive it.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu