ear butts?

Submitted by ryan on 3/6/05 at 11:16 AM. ( rjrtaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 64.222.38.81

i was reading the new issue of Breakthrough and saw that john lager builds the entire ear butt on the earliner prior to mounting. ive seen this other times too. my question is, is this the best way to do it? and if so, what should they be sculpted out of? i set my earliners and then when its time to mount i stuff a bunch of critter clay in there and try to shape after its sewed up. but i have troulbe with this system. it seems like if i used critter clay and let it dry on the earliner before mounting, it would crack. any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

spray them

This response submitted by houndog on 3/6/05 at 9:24 PM. ( ) 64.136.49.228

spray that critter clay with water.i do the same for the eyes,it wont dry out on ya.

same here

This response submitted by Tim on 3/7/05 at 4:45 AM. ( ) 63.155.196.70

I do the same here works great although you do want to spray the clay down with water before sewing.I would do the other method if working on a competion piece.Carry Cocrahan also does it that way with moulding the ear butt befor placing skin on.

Hide paste

This response submitted by Mike on 3/7/05 at 3:25 PM. ( ) 64.91.85.29

Coat the clay with hide paste, like Buckeye Supreme before it dries, that will help hold the clay together. Cary Cochran just did a seminar on ear butts at the Wisconsin show. He said to prep your manikin and hide, glue the earliners in the ears,(buttless Epley) and slip the cape over the manikin leaving the ears hang down. Then use a different set of earliners and sculpt the ear butts with clay. When you finish the earbutts, carefully pull out the earliner from the clay, and insert the one that is glued in your ear. He suggested adding a worm of clay at the base of the earliner in the ear to use to smooth out the transition when you re-insert the earliner in the clay earbutt. Hope that helps.

thanks

This response submitted by ryan on 3/7/05 at 5:45 PM. ( ) 64.222.38.81

ill try it out!

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu