Mane on Deer

Submitted by Todd Adams on 3/6/05 at 8:59 PM. ( ) 151.204.254.180

Okay I know that you guys are probably going to laugh but have any of you actually seen or heard of a WT deer with a mane? It's about 10" long and about an 1" high. The customer e-mailed me the pictures of it before he gave the deer to me, wondering if that was something that I had encountered before. He also wanted me to mount it in a full sneak position, so he could display the oddity. After fleshing, pickling, and tanning I didn't think that it would stay, so to be on the safe side when I caped it out I made my short incision just to the side of it and sure enough I just finished mounting it and it stayed! So I just wanted your opinions.......Thanks again. Todd.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

mane

This response submitted by chad on 3/6/05 at 9:01 PM. ( ) 199.0.140.107

I just mounted 1 lastnight that had the samething it ran from about 5" below the ears to just past the shoulder blades.

A few

This response submitted by C A on 3/6/05 at 10:36 PM. ( ) 70.113.34.43

I have probably mounted 5 or 6 deer with manes. It seems to be pretty rare. Most of the time the ones I have dealt with were fairly small, maybe 10 inches long at most, and about 1 inch tall.

we just talked about this one too

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 3/6/05 at 11:18 PM. ( ) 67.138.10.89

I think it was in December, in the deer category, if you wanna look back. We spoke of seeing them quite often, actually. I have one in the freezer now from Scott Howard in Illinois. Some areas see them more often, I guess.

Deer

This response submitted by Tony J. on 3/7/05 at 4:16 AM. ( ) 208.135.164.205

I did one last year, and one this year. I didn't notice the second one till I tanned it. When I finished mounting it, I called the guy to show him where I stopped sewing. Reason being, this person seems hard to please, I didn't want him to think it was a bad sew job. The mane was at the bottem of the neck, past my insision. He was very happy when I told him it was a rare thing.

Ohio

This response submitted by Tim on 3/7/05 at 4:42 AM. ( chelyann@magicohio.com ) 63.155.196.70

We must have alot here in Ohio because I do several every year.Just did one yesterday.If you can keep the hair out of the seem really hides the seem good.Must have genetics involved becuase repeat customers bring back deer following years that also have manes.

Have two right now

This response submitted by Hunter on 3/8/05 at 12:31 AM. ( Wbrokenhand1@aol.com ) 198.81.26.44

I have two in the frezer as we speak. One has mane that starts about three inches from his head sticks up about one inch and is ten inches long. The other has one four inches from his head about ten inches long,but it runs backward like a cur dog. Both of these are mine traded for antler mounts.

deer in southern LA. also

This response submitted by paul e on 3/11/05 at 10:56 AM. ( americanmetalfab@bellsouth.net ) 65.6.117.143

did a swamp deer recently
its hair was long
had a irish setter look it was so long
different it was
it also didnt show much as far as detail
the whole deer had long hair
just weird

mane deer

This response submitted by arthur on 3/12/05 at 5:51 PM. ( ) 24.29.73.124

Todd,
It really seems like you know a lot about your hobby/business. Have you done a lot of deer heads?the reason why I am asking is,I have a friend in Massachusettes who is looking for a part time taxidermy job. The problem is that he once worked for a local taxidermist in town that was incarcerated for illegal animals, (FISHERCATS) now he is scared, but very interested.he has actually mounted 5 specimens and they were all very well detailed. This kid is extremley talented and would be a huge asset to anyones shop. If you are interested please contact me. you seem very pleasurable to talk to and sound as if your from a strong taxidermy oriented family.
Thank You
Arthur

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu