help putting antlers back in

Submitted by Larry Helton on 3/7/05 at 3:11 PM. ( spoors@localnet.com ) 156.63.169.2

I have a large buck mount that the antlers were removed from. The stiching was removed pretty far down the back. I have a nice set of antlers to put back in, but not sure how to close up the dry skin where it won't meet back up. Should I wet it? Put other fur in its place? Whittle down the form so it will meet? Any other suggestions appreciated. I'm not a regular on this forum, so you can email me direct if you'd like at spoors@localnet.com

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Larry

This response submitted by Steve A. on 3/7/05 at 10:32 PM. ( ) 216.220.22.69

You might wet the area for a couple days with wet rags and then try to stick it up again....

I have done this

This response submitted by j on 3/8/05 at 1:59 PM. ( ) 205.202.36.240

I had a customer that wanted me to swap out a set of anters. What I did was set the new antler in clay. Use plenty of screws through the skull plate 4-6. Since my hide did not quite stretch. I epoxied it down. Where it was short, I let a litte glue come out and I cut some hair from the back of the form and placed it into the wet glue to dry. I assured the customer that this was not going to be a perfect look but he was happy with the results. I charged him $100 to do this. It took me about 3 hours total.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu