fleshing machine vs. knives

Submitted by Jeff on 3/7/05 at 8:41 PM. ( ) 64.91.22.28

Is it best to shave hides after pickle with a fleshing machine or knife? I would imagine a machine is faster, all I've used in a knife, but seems the knife gets dull so fast and needs to be sharpened quite frequently. Wondering if I should invest in a fleshing machine.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Mini Flesher

This response submitted by Greg on 3/7/05 at 9:48 PM. ( ) 207.144.167.137

I use a mini, have used a knife, wouldn't want to do that again if I can help it. Alot faster with a mini than a knife. Don't have a fleshing machine, but I hear it is alot easier than with a knife.

Never used

This response submitted by MIke on 3/7/05 at 10:23 PM. ( ) 64.91.84.88

a knife, but used a mini'flesher and a fleshing machine. The fleshing machine is by far the best in my opinion.

Jeff

This response submitted by Steve D on 3/8/05 at 5:52 AM. ( aaa_taxidermy@yahoo.com ) 64.222.240.161

If you're going to make this your career or better yet if you do more than 2 deer a year then invest in a machine. The days of fleshing with a knife for the PRO. taxidermist are long gone, their may be a few old timers or beginner hobbyists that still use a knife, and im sure do a great job, but that's it. The invention of the round knife brought taxidermy to a new level by not only making fleshing easier and quicker but it gives the hide a much more uniform and professional look, and of course the thinner you get it the better the stretch. You'll always use knives to an extent while fleshing like on holes and the face and around ear butts and so on, but the fleshing machine investment is one well spent.

Steve

This response submitted by Ed on 3/8/05 at 5:17 PM. ( mountianed@eartlink.net ) 4.233.164.129

I couldn't say it better myself. I've tried knife& beam Mini fleshers,and finaly a friends rotary table top flesher. I just this morning ordered an Eager Beaver from Bruce Rittel.If you do ANY amount of hides, its the only way to go!Anyone doing Taxi work for a living ( in my oppinion) would be well advised to consider one...easier on you arms and hands,faster, better quality,you name it!

yes

This response submitted by chuck on 3/13/05 at 9:37 AM. ( ) 216.198.126.196

thats all ive ever used (a fleshing machine) it is the way to go so much more economical

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu