Gary Beigh's Reproduction Is Great

Submitted by Mike on 3/8/05 at 4:29 PM. ( ) 216.234.112.67

I just got my order in from Van Dykes for a reproduction whitetail rack. It's "A" in their catalog, a 12 pointer that scores around 193. It's truely impressive. Once I get it stained, it will be nearly impossible to tell from a real rack, unless you push on the antlers. There is a little flex in them compared to the real thing. I'm going to mount the antlers and put them up for sale. My question is, how much should I charge for such a mount. My normal price is $400 for a standard whitetail mount. The antlers cost $214.80 including shipping. The cape I'm using cost $100 and it was a bargain for the size and condition of it. I get at least one call off my website every week from someone looking to buy a deer head, so I know there's a market out there. This is my first repro mount, so I don't know what to charge.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

I see these on ebay

This response submitted by duckfeathers on 3/8/05 at 6:23 PM. ( ) 70.110.171.192

They sell for $600 to $1200 on ebay. However I just saw a Goliath repro mounted head that sold for over $3000. I like these kind of customers.

Why isn't it

This response submitted by Tony C on 3/13/05 at 10:06 PM. ( bp409@yahoo.com ) 12.64.134.248

just the cost of your normal mount ($400) plus your time to prep and stain the horns etc (can't be more than $50) and a say a 30% mark up on the antlers and cape or $314.80X 1.3 = 409.320 .... total would be about $859 with the customer paying for the crating and shipping.

Remember that the crating and shipping won't be cheap.

Seems to me that something like the above pricing methodology makes sense. By the way, check out Big Buck Reproductions for repro antlers... you will be impressed with them... resin based..hard antlers. There website is below.
http://www.antlerreplicas.com/

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu